Improving an MT with a TM

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
MadcapMichelle
Propeller Head

Improving an MT with a TM

Post by MadcapMichelle »

Hi all,

Is it possible to improve the Machine Translation by making it use Translation Memory as reference? My project is quite technical and the MT often uses the general meaning of the word, rather than the specific technical use i need.

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Michelle
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: Improving an MT with a TM

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

Yes this can be done, but the question becomes if it will be worth the effort, because once you get into creating subject-specific MT engines, they need to be maintained. Could you provide a a bit more info and what MT system are you using?
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
MadcapMichelle
Propeller Head

Re: Improving an MT with a TM

Post by MadcapMichelle »

Hi Uwe,

I double-checked with Madcap support:

Hello Michelle,
Thank you for contacting Madcap Software Technical Support.
Unfortunately there is no way to make Google MT learn from your TM. The following steps should be adequate for your desired effect.
1. Begin the process of creating a project. See Creating New Projects.
2. On the third page of the wizard, select the translation memory.
3. From the Select Machine Translation Providers drop-down, select the provider you want to use. You can only select one provider when applying MT suggestions to the entire project. You may have to click off of the drop-down after making your selection.
If you have not yet entered credentials for the machine translation provider in the Options dialog (see Setting Machine Translation Options), an additional dialog opens where you can provide your authentication information.
4. From the Pre-translate options drop-down, select Pre-translate with TM then MT. This will apply matches from the translation memory to segments in the project, then apply machine translation to any segments that are not translated.
Sincerely,
Mohamed Abdi
Madcap Technical Support

--

I know I could use a Termbase for certain terms and use tags to stop the MT from translating it, but to be honest, the translation is generally out of context.

I'm using Google MT.

Kind regards,

Michelle