Translation Memories

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
gewbank
Jr. Propeller Head

Translation Memories

Post by gewbank »

Good evening everyone,
A question please. Is there any way to reverse engineer a TM if you have both the source and translated versions of a Flare / Lingo project?
The company I now work with previously translated a manual from English to Spanish. The translators used the .xlf files in a translation bundle but we do not know the software used. The original employees working on this have moved on taking the corporate memory with them.
The English manual has been updated and they now wish to translate again to Spanish but I find they never received a Translation Memory file with their translated documents. Obviously we would prefer not to have to translate the whole 400+ pages again.
I only way I can think of if we can't get a TM is to only send the new bits to the translators (I know exactly what I have added) and then add the translated new bits into the Spanish Flare program to update it. The regulators may not be happy with that and we would meet the same situation with the next update.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanking you,
George
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: Translation Memories

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

George,

your have two options here based on your post. I am assuming that you have a lingo license.
1. Create an empty translation memory and link this memory to your Lingo project. Open the lingo project and highlight the translated files and select upload to TM. In this manner the translations will be added to the Translation memory.
2. If you only have the Flare projects, your best option would be to use the alignment function and align the source and the target text and create the TM from there. You can then use this TM for the new texts going forward.

HTH
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
gewbank
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by gewbank »

Uwe,
Great, thank you. I have a Lingo license so I am able to do it all in Lingo.
I don't know why I didn't think of that method.
Indebted to you. Best wishes,
George
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

No problem. Just make sure that you export the TM afterwards in TMX format. In this manner you have a backup if you ever need to reßcreate something.
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator