More problems than production

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
laurel_kerby
Jr. Propeller Head

More problems than production

Post by laurel_kerby »

We've had Lingo since the end of April, and I've had nothing but issues with it since installation. It crashes nearly as frequently as it works, it's inconsistent in accuracy when merging, and it operates at a cold tar pace. Is anyone else experiencing problems like these?
Uwe Schwenk
Propeller Head

Re: More problems than production

Post by Uwe Schwenk »

I would first of all contact support. Secondly, could you provide a bit more detail on the problems you are encountering?
Uwe Schwenk
L10N Coordinator
MunchMan
Propeller Head

Re: More problems than production

Post by MunchMan »

Hope it got better for you. My first suggestion: in Flare, make a condition called No-Lingo (or whatever you want to call it). Apply that to every table that's just numbers (sub-hint: make the headings snippets, then you can exclude the whole table but the snippets still get translated), to every topic that shouldn't be translated, every image, every ToC, every Target...you get the picture. Recreate your Lingo project and look for the dropdown at the bottom left of a dialog box along the way that lets you filter out that condition. Lingo will still touch all those items so you can access them later if needed—you'll see them race past in the report box repeatedly as its processing—but it will leave them out of much of the processing effort, speeding everything up tremendously.

Second, ensure your source Flare project does not contain multiple languages; instead of English into 10 languages, you'll get English into 10, German into 10, French into 10, Italian into 10...do the math :-). It can run all night and still not finish an update. I have my English in one project and all translations (TL) in another of the same structure, but importing all the images, styles, and variables from the English; it's very easy to set up.

Third, if your files are on a server, copy it to your desktop and try it from there. A Flare search/replace runs about 18x faster on my PC than off the server; at beer-thirty on Friday I drag all my projects to a new network backup folder, log off, and go home. On Monday the mega-giga mess is safely duplicated some Amazon data center :-).