filter files by Path in the File List filter?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
brazuk25
Jr. Propeller Head

filter files by Path in the File List filter?

Post by brazuk25 »

Is there a way to filter files by Path in the File List filter? I want to view only files from certain directories in the list.

Can you show me an example of how to do this?

I attached a file:PATH.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: filter files by Path in the File List filter?

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm not a Lingo user, per se, but I assume that the File List in Lingo behaves similarly to the File List in Flare. I assume that you can sort the File List by any of the columns, including the Path column. That will group together the files within the same folder. If you'd like, you can also select those rows and export them to a CSV file, which you can then open in a spreadsheet program such as Excel.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
brazuk25
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by brazuk25 »

Thanks for the answer, Nita!
The Lingo File List indeed works just like the Flare list. This solution partially works for me - I could generate an Excel list to show files sorted by a specific column and filter the Excel list for certain directories. However I'm looking for a way to do that in Lingo, so I could easily open files from a certain directory to translate them directly in Lingo itself, increasing productivity. Is there a way to do so?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Someone else will need to answer, as I'm not a Lingo user myself. :( Let's hope someone with more knowledge than I will come along soon.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
brazuk25
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by brazuk25 »

Thanks a lot for trying to help anyway!
If there is any one around who could provide further help, thanks in advance
sdriggars
Propeller Head

Post by sdriggars »

Sorting by path, as Nita suggested, is probably the easiest way to do it in Lingo.

Optionally, you could sort by path, and then multi-select the files that are all in the same path and create a translation bundle from the selection. You would then open the translation bundle in a new instance of Lingo to translate it. You'd need to export the bundle and import it back into the original Lingo project when you were done. This is more work than it is worth in my opinion, but it would allow you to work on a specific group of files and avoid any files you didn't want included. I have used this method in the past to separate files into groups for translators.
--Stephen