Path too long on new operating systems

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
okonvick
Propeller Head

Path too long on new operating systems

Post by okonvick »

I have a Lingo V9 project with quite an extensive hierarchy and as a result, long file paths. I frequently encounter the "path too long" error when exporting the translated project to Flare.

I know I could get rid of the problem by shortening my structure, but that's not really an option for me (various reasons).

I have read through this viewtopic.php?f=40&t=28753 thread and found out that after last summer update of Windows 10, the problem no longer appears there. However, after installing Lingo on Windows Server 2016 (and after turning on the "enable win32 long paths" (more on that here http://heelpbook.altervista.org/2017/en ... ws-server/), the problem still remains on the server, in conrast to Win 10, where the problem seems to have disappeared completely.

What to do? Can there be some difference between the server and normal Windows that could cause this or am I just missing some setting? Or, do I have to buy a newer version of Lingo to get this working?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Path too long on new operating systems

Post by RamonS »

This is a Windows limitation stemming from the DOS days and applies to all versions on Windows. There is nothing Lingo can do. Win 10 and Server 2016 are different beasts, so what works on Win 10 might not work the same way or at all on 2016. Since you confirmed that Win 10 doesn't have that problem my suggestion would be to use Win 10 instead of 2016...not sure if that is an option.
As far as flattening the structure, I suggest you do not dismiss this entirely. It will provide many benefits as a flatter structure is easier to maintain and work with. Not sure what the concerns are other than that it is a lot of work, but on the application side this should have no impact assuming that any CSH calls are made using an alias or a map ID.