Translate part of a project

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
Vibeke B
Propeller Head

Translate part of a project

Post by Vibeke B »

Hi!

I have a Flare project which produces five manuals. Until now I have only tried to send an entire project to be translated by colleagues. Now I find, that I need to have just one of these manuals translated, while the others will remain in the source language. What is the best way to translate just maybe half of the files in a big project? If I send the entire project to Lingo, how can they tell what to translate and what not to translate? The manual is based on a TOC and the topics are in a folder structure.
* Should I use file tags in Flare?
* Can the translators do something in Lingo (I have not used Lingo myself yet)?
* Do I have to create a new project?

I cannot find information on the subject anywhere, maybe someone can redirect me or just give me advice here.

Thanks!
Madeline
Propeller Head

Re: Translate part of a project

Post by Madeline »

hi,

I only ever translate part of a project. I dynamically filter the Lingo project (in project properties) by Targets and include the Targets pointing to the TOCs I want translated. Once you do this only the topics included in the selected targets are included.

Is that what you mean?

Madeline
karencann
Propeller Head

Re: Translate part of a project

Post by karencann »

Hi Madeline,

I am thinking that this might be the best way forward for my project, too. I am trying to translate one or two chapters at a time from a single Flare project.

Do you update your Lingo project with additional content, or do you maintain a separate Lingo project for each manual? Does that affect your reuse across projects?

Also, do you export the Lingo project back to a separate Flare project for each manual?

Thanks,
Karen