Can I apply segmentation rules without a Project Update?

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
barbs
Propeller Head

Can I apply segmentation rules without a Project Update?

Post by barbs »

We ran into a problem where Lingo reverted our saved segment splits in four different projects. MadCap Support is working on this trying to reproduce it (I can reproduce it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. in the sample project I sent them.)

But I digress.

In the meantime, my fix was to create a segmentation rule, dirty all of the files in the project, and then run a project update to split the segments. This worked great in the first three (smaller) projects that I did it to. Keep in mind that to dirty the files, I used Notepad++ to add a blank paragraph tag after the body tag in all of the content and snippet files in the project. This means that I have to update the project twice...once so that it recognizes the files as changed, and then again, after I remove the paragraph tag. To try and speed up the first update, I did not use the segmentation rule.

As mentioned, this worked for the first three projects. But the last project I need to fix has about 750 files in it (5 languages). I kicked off the first update and at 4 1/2 days later, this was the noted progress.

I'd like to pull the plug on this process as it will never complete in time for our release. I would also like to NOT spend the rest of this week and the weekend manually fixing all of the segments for the three different languages that are supposed to be in this release.

Is there any way to force the segmentation rules WITHOUT having to diry the files and update the project?

Also, does anyone know how Lingo identifies a file as updated? Do I really need to throw in that empty paragraph tag into the source files, which I then need to subsequently remove? Or if I just copy the the source files to another folder, and then copy them back to their original folder, giving them a new "last saved" date, will that be enough for Lingo to think the file is changed?

Thanks so much for reading and for any suggestions!
Barb