Leveraging old translations...

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
mikejp
Propeller Head

Leveraging old translations...

Post by mikejp »

Let's imagine you don't have tmx (aka 'unclean' files) from a previous translation because, for example, it was done by a bi-lingual colleague working out of an office in the target country.

What you do have, though, is a set of matched projects, or a set of bi-lingual projects (where the source language is there for change-control and is normally conditioned out of a localized target build).

As I understandand it, a Lingo project is a parallel copy of a source project in the target langauage. Is it possible to copy content (either from a matched project, or from the source project) into a Lingo project and so generate the appropriate tmx files?

I ask, of course, because if you have translation memory files professional updates get to be a whole lot cheaper / more do-able.

As a sidebar: Not every localization vendor can handle specialized content. Some do great work for international logicistics, others understand your hi-tech device better than you do. Choose the wrong vendor and your expensive localization is so much scrap, some-one says 'We can do this better ourselves', but it's a one-off deal. The right vendor is a marriage made in heaven. There are also folk out there that throw away 'unclean' files because they have no obvious immediate value. So, is there any good way of leveraging older translations into a proper tmx system?
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: Leveraging old translations...

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Thanks Mike,

We are working on an Aligment Feature that maybe included in the next release of Lingo, Thanks for all your help.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
mikejp
Propeller Head

Re: Leveraging old translations...

Post by mikejp »

Thanks Richard. I hesitate to ask when that might be because I know you can't answer :shock: . But, 1.2 came along pretty quickly, as might 1.3 (if considered needful). But if you're thinking 2.0 here, I guess that could be next year or even later. So, would you reckon point release, or next full makeover? :?