How do you translate partially translated sources

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
forfear
Propellus Maximus

How do you translate partially translated sources

Post by forfear »

We were previously using Flare to do translation. It was time consuming, We bought lingo and we had these partially translated projects in Flare.
When editing in Lingo how do you start working with partially translated Flare projects. If we were starting completely from scratch for a translation project, all would be fine in Lingo.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: How do you translate partially translated sources

Post by Richard Ferrell »

We are working on feature that will let you align previously translated projects with new source files. You can then create a new Translation Memory or update an existing one.

thanks for all your feature suggestions.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

thanks! always glad to hear it!

I guess we'll have to get down and dirty for the next few days. :)
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
paulblusas
Propeller Head

Post by paulblusas »

I'm using LINGO Version 1.5 with a 30 day temp key. I can see how it can work really well from ground zero and I really like the ease with which segments of text can be simply translated using Google or a bolt-on translation package for any additional manual correction if required, but we are in a similar position to forfear on this forum topic.

Our Chinese partner has just completed the translation of 3 projects comprising a total of 2000 topics into Chinese manually using Flare. Even though most of the corresponding sentences in the English and Chinese topics can be identifed the thought of copying and pasting each translated sentence (segment) piece by piece again into a newly-created Lingo structure is not a good one. So we are left hoping that something to allow import of a partial or full previously translated Flare project may hit the streets sooner rather than later. We've already discovered that whilst an initial translation of a project manually is quite straightforward, keeping track of changes made thereafter in more than one Flare project manually is very awkward. LINGO with its change detection facility will help enormously.

Can you make any comments on the progress of this work (in private if necessary) Richard?
Paul B
------
LUSAS
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

yeah i hear ya!

we did the copy paste thing since Lingo couldn't handle it

nonetheless it works lovely when it works. we did face some unusual crashes when lingo can't align the segments correctly.

but in the long run Lingo with a maintenance pack would do lovely. its got legs i believe. with the net, we are in globalized world today...can't imagine a business surviving only in one place and for people speaking one language only.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

Depends, many US companies are apparently convinced that everyone speaks American and uses a funky format to report date and time. :P
paulblusas
Propeller Head

Post by paulblusas »

we did face some unusual crashes when lingo can't align the segments correctly - forfear
- I've seen those too from trying to cheat and see if I could just replace topics in the target Lingo folders with already translated topics from the Flare project. It worked for a while (for the simple topics it seemed) and then fell apart. Well it would do because it obviously wasn't the thing I should have done, but when a solution has to be found I'll try anything to see if it may work in some form.

It's a shame. We had to take the plunge when we did and start 'manual' translation in Flare because Lingo wasn't out at the time but now that Lingo is here, and appears to do exactly what we want it to do, we find ourselves caught out one step further on.

It would be a shame for someone to go through all those topics only for a fix to come out the day after it was completed...
Paul B
------
LUSAS
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

regardless i think Lingo is still worth it...translating hyperlinks and cross-refs without that dual pane workflow is crazy nuts