Translating Capture 2.0 callouts anyone

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Translating Capture 2.0 callouts anyone

Post by forfear »

hi chaps

anyone had any issues translating capture 2.0 with Lingo 1.5 and opening them in Flare 3.1 for export?

Anyway i opened a support ticket on this, just checking with the community.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: Translating Capture 2.0 callouts anyone

Post by doc_guy »

Last time I checked, Lingo didn't translate callouts from Capture at all. It doesn't even recognize them. This is a big drawback to Capture for people who use Lingo, because it seems an obviously good thing to do (isn't that part of the point of keeping the text separate from the image in an XML file, after all?).

Maybe Lingo/Capture have been updated since I checked last, but I don't think so.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

doc_guy wrote:Last time I checked, Lingo didn't translate callouts from Capture at all. It doesn't even recognize them. This is a big drawback to Capture for people who use Lingo, because it seems an obviously good thing to do (isn't that part of the point of keeping the text separate from the image in an XML file, after all?).

Maybe Lingo/Capture have been updated since I checked last, but I don't think so.
In Lingo 1.5 it does. The png file appears with the bubble text as translatable strings. and thats the upside of it.

the problem is after you export to flare 3.1, the placeholder for the image is replaced wtih an error. so this is a relatively important bug, since its not doing as mentioned...when you look in the images folder the original PNG file is now damaged, (it doens't open in any image editor) and there are new xlf files in there. argh
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Post by forfear »

Actually i think you can also just open the .props file and edit the callout text in notepad. although i think that thar be a bit primitive when you've got yer bosch power drill :)
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

forfear wrote:Actually i think you can also just open the .props file and edit the callout text in notepad. although i think that thar be a bit primitive when you've got yer bosch power drill :)
Well, you *can* but that isn't the point of Lingo. It's just supposed to work seamlessly to translate all text from your Flare project and make it work in the new target language. If Lingo doens't recognize the text (as in lingo 1.0), or if Flare can't handle the images Lingo creates (as in Lingo 1.5) the result is the same: it doesn't work.

But at least they seem to be moving in the right direction....
Paul Pehrson
My Blog