Windows XP SP3, MSXML 6.0, SQL Express corruption solution

This Forum is for general issues about MadCap Lingo
forfear
Propellus Maximus

Windows XP SP3, MSXML 6.0, SQL Express corruption solution

Post by forfear »

If for some reason, you cannot install SQL Server Express, perhaps due to a corrupted installation ....
SQL Server Express installation kept failing at MSXML installation step (something like that)

In my case it was a corrupted MSXML 6.0 KB95449 Update.. i.e. I tried removing this update but could not. 'Cannot remove MSXML 6.0 update' in Add/Remove Programs,

Then try this utility
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

this should remove it from the registry at least.

So if ever Add/Remove Programs fails to uninstall a product, use this nifty little uninstall to sort it out for you.

After you've used it, try installing SQL Server Express. Problem solved.

I think this may have come from the recent Windows Service Pack 3 release. but i could be wrong. nonetheless, here's a possible solution in case SQL Server Express fails to install.
If you submit your bug feedback request here, the more likely it'll get fixed or included in a future release
Open Utilities PageLayout Resizer for Flare/Blaze | Batch builder
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Windows XP SP3, MSXML 6.0, SQL Express corruption solution

Post by RamonS »

XPSP3 is not recent...or do you mean the SP3 for MSSQL 2k5? Microsoft crafted that cleanup utility after admitting that their Microsoft Installer is just a steaming pile of junk. It is the worst installer engine in use and even worse than that, everyone is using it, including MadCap. MSI is just another demonstration that masses of people just use any garbage Redmond spews out. I guess people will never learn. Probably the same folks who think the ribbon is great...
The only good thing about MSI is that installer cleanup tool, you really need that one.