Page Layouts & Master Pages don't import????

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
gamatz
Jr. Propeller Head

Page Layouts & Master Pages don't import????

Post by gamatz »

Hi all,

I hope someone can clarify some info for me. I've recently taken a new job where I'm needed to import a project from RoboHelp to Flare. Easy enough to do the basic import, but somehow the styles, the page layouts, and the master pages do NOT import??? Is there something I'm missing, or do these need to be created from scratch again?

I'm not familiar with creating them from scratch, and have searched the boards, the videos, the webinars, and learned as much as I can but seeing as how I need to follow the strict standards of what this company had in RoboHelp, I'm not sure how to begin. I can't seem to make the title page look the same, they had a Word doc with all the styles, headers, footers for printed output in 1 Word document that they used for all print targets in RoboHelp. They want me to use the same word doc in Flare, and I don't see a way to do that.

I thought the import process was supposed to be simpler - please advise on page layout and master pages. I did finally get the styles to work, though Flare renames them all as "span.stylename" and it won't let me edit the style name.

HELP????

Thanks,
Gamatz
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Page Layouts & Master Pages don't import????

Post by wclass »

It's been a while since I converted from Robohelp, but I don't think much has changed.
Yes, you have to recreate your page layouts and master pages.
The styles should come through into a CSS file. If you are getting spans, that might be the way the source code was set in RH.

In general, you should create master pages for online target outputs, and page layouts for print based targets (though Word targets can use master pages) - these are both described in the online help files.

However, having said that, in our case, we also generate Word documents, and we have existing Word templates that we are expected to use. I have not tried to replicate this in Flare - I create a generic Word target (very simple page layout that basically sets the page size to A4), and then I copy the contents to our Word template. I find this works better as there are some missing pieces in Flare-Word output, like the way it handles background images and title pages.

I am not sure why you can't edit the style names - are you updating the CSS or changing them within topics? If you have set a master style sheet at project or target level this might prevent you from updating at topic level.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne