Frame to Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.

Frame to Flare

Postby Greg on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:57 am

I've imported dozens of Word docs but I am a newbie with Frame importing. Some issues in my first attempts:

1. Flare creates new Pagelayouts. Can I just get rid of them if I have my own already setup? Is there an advantage to keeping them?
2. After I click Finish on the import wizard, the Messages window displays "Failed to import files" but it in fact does import files. What's happening here? Could a few broken x-refs be the issue here?

TIA
Greg
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Frame to Flare

Postby Sean on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:51 am

Bump.

Same question about page layouts. What are they used for?

I had one broken cross-reference error importing a book. So, I rechecked my book in FM for unresolved cross references and found none. I reviewed the chapter in question and found none. Reimported, same error. So, I threw everything away and reimported using only the chapter files and not the book. The error did not appear.
Sean
Propeller Head

Postby Sean on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I think the answer is that I have to manually add the topics I want into the TOC for that output. :mrgreen:
Sean
Propeller Head

Postby naddy23nair on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 am

Hello Greg,

I think I will be able to fix this issue for you. It will be great if you share a few documents so that I can try and replicate the issue and find a resolution for you.
naddy23nair
Jr. Propeller Head

Postby devjoe on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 am

Sean wrote:Same question about page layouts. What are they used for?

Page layouts are used for defining the way pages are structured in print outputs like PDF. You typically have a header frame, footer frame, and body frame, with the header and footer containing static content and variables like page number which are repeated on each page, and the body frame gets filled in with content from your topics. The sizes of these frames define your margins. You can also define different left and right pages, a different first page for each chapter, etc.

Since you imported from a print-type document, Flare generated a page layout to save the information of this type from the imported document. If you aren't going to be making such an output, you can delete it.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Return to Importing