Word List Paragraph style

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Word List Paragraph style

Post by Perrorist »

When I import a Word document with the List Paragraph style, the resulting indent is far too wide, but I can't see how to modify this. Possibly I've overlooked something during the import. The CSS has a 0px left margin. Anyone know how I should import this style or fix it via the stylesheet?
paintedturtle
Propeller Head

Re: Word List Paragraph style

Post by paintedturtle »

Perrorist wrote:When I import a Word document with the List Paragraph style, the resulting indent is far too wide, but I can't see how to modify this. Possibly I've overlooked something during the import. The CSS has a 0px left margin. Anyone know how I should import this style or fix it via the stylesheet?
I often see indents in lists in Word Imports.

Is the code specifically setting the margin? That's usually a bad sign because it will change whatever your CSS Stylesheets are set to. When I import from Word, I go into the Text Editor to see the code and search for "margin." If I see something like
<ol style="margin-left: 36pt;" start="1">
I do a find and replace using "Cntrl + H" in the Text Editor.

Find
style="margin-left: 36pt;" s
replace with
s

Hope that helps,
~Sarah
Technical Writer using and experimenting with Flare version 12.0.5991.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Post by Perrorist »

Hi, Sarah. I can fix the problem by going into the stylesheet and changing it afterwards along the line you suggest, but the document is set to auto-import and I'm assuming the stylesheet would be overwritten. Also, I'm importing 14 documents into the one project, so I'd prefer it to be fixed during the import. Presumably, I would need to apply my own stylesheet.

BTW, it creates a class of "ul_1" with a left margin of 50px.
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Post by Perrorist »

Each document's stylesheet is overwritten if a change is made to that document. Though I added an override to the ul.ul_1 class in MainStyles.css, it had no effect. It seems MainStyles.css is the base style and is overridden by relevant topic stylesheets, and so it's not possible to modify a source document without its CSS file being recreated as well.

I'm left wondering what happens when you apply your own stylesheet during an import. Is that applied each time the document is auto-imported, or are you back to losing your own styling again?
Perrorist
Propeller Head

Post by Perrorist »

I got around the list format problem by replacing each of them in the source documents with a one-line, borderless table having two columns: the first for the bullet, the second for the text. Perfect.