Confluennce import issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Confluennce import issues

Post by chuck_agari »

I have found a bunch of issues with the Confluence import. I am filing a bug, but I wanted to post it here too so we can keep track of MadCap's (hopeful) fixes. This is what I wrote:

I found a number of issues with your new Confluence import functionality. The attached is one of the pages I imported. The circled areas are separate links. Here's the imported code:

Code: Select all

<head><title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <h1>DMARC record</h1>
        <p />
        <p>
            <br /><span class="conf-macro output-inline">A <a href="domain_name_system.htm">DNS</a><a href="text_resource_record.htm">TXT record</a> that uses a format specified in the <a href="Domain_based_Message_Authentication__Reporting___Conformance.htm">DMARC</a> draft specification to define a domain’s <a href="DMARC_policy1.htm">DMARC policy</a> and data reporting addresses.</span>
            <br />
        </p>
        <p><span>A domain’s DMARC record is located in DNS at _dmarc.</span><em><span>domain-name</span></em><span>.</span>
        </p>
        <p><span><span>Example: <code>_dmarc.agari.com.   </code></span><code> <span>TXT    </span><span>"v=DMARC1;p=none;rua=mailto:d@rua.agari.com"</span></code></span>
        </p>
    </body>
Note the following:
- No title added, nor other page metadata in the <head> section.
- The <p /> element that is added after the h1. In the XML editor, this is actually rendered as <p></p>, I think because <p /> is not XHTML-compliant.
- The <br /> elements added inside the first p elements.
- The empty span elements added in each p element.
- The span in the first p element with a class added. What is this class, what is it for, and did something get added to my carefully crafted CSS file?
- The 2 adjacent links in the first paragraph had the space between them removed.
- The other unnecessary span elements sprinkled throughout that make the code a real mess.

This was a pretty short, simple topic.

Also, in a few other imported topics I did as a test, there were links to other topics. They were rendered only as links, not as cross references. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

<body>
        <h1>A record</h1>
        <p />
        <p>
            <br />See <a href="host_address_resource_record.htm" class="conf-macro output-inline">host address resource record</a>.</p>
    </body>
I'm thinking of using the Confluence import feature for glossary terms. In the glossary I have built (in Confluence) so far, there are a lot of these: common abbreviations that, rather than repeat the same content twice, are simply links to the spelled-out term. I'm wondering why the import process didn't "recognize" that these were links to other topics in the content set and make them cross references--or at least offer me an option to make them cross references as part of the import flow.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Confluennce import issues

Post by chuck_agari »

Well, it took MadCap "only" a week to reply, but it appears I found not one, but two bugs, officially. #153295 and #153404, if anyone else wants to track these.

I was a beta tester for the very first release of Flare so many, many years ago. Guess I still am, but for the latest release. Does QA get paid more or less than technical writers?