"The surrogate pair (0xD83D, 0xD83D) is invalid..." Word imp

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Jeong
Propeller Head

"The surrogate pair (0xD83D, 0xD83D) is invalid..." Word imp

Post by Jeong »

When importing a particular Word doc in a particular project, I am seeing the following error:
Screen1.png
Anyone seen this before? The Options > Build > Byte Order Marker option makes no difference.
I've tried creating a new, empty project and trying to import the same Word doc, and there's no problem in a new project (but I kinda need it in this project)
(Support request sent)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeong
Propeller Head

Re: "The surrogate pair (0xD83D, 0xD83D) is invalid..." Word

Post by Jeong »

In case anyone else comes across this - found the solution today. This is related to a bug in Flare (reported) where one cannot insert the link character into a document: Character's decimal code: 🔗
Looks like:
link.png
The import bug is the reverse. If you have that character present in a document you are trying to import, Flare will fail to import the file and report the "surrogate pair... is invalid" error. Solution is to delete all instances of that link character in your source document, then re-add the document for import.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: "The surrogate pair (0xD83D, 0xD83D) is invalid..." Word

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Thanks for sharing the root cause and the solution/work-around.
flared
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: "The surrogate pair (0xD83D, 0xD83D) is invalid..." Word imp

Post by flared »

Hello. I am having this issue and am wondering how you find a character in a word doc? The document I am working with is over 200 pages, so scrolling through looking for this image isn't working. Is there something I can search using find and replace that would find this link character?
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Re: "The surrogate pair (0xD83D, 0xD83D) is invalid..." Word imp

Post by Psider »

You could try the following (the link image above has a name of 1f517.svg so I assumed that was the character code of the symbol).

In Word, in a new paragraph type 1f517 then press Ctrl+X. That should change the code to a symbol. Then copy the symbol and paste it into the Find dialog box/panel.

It'll obviously only find something if that symbol is the one causing the issue for you - I'd imagine there are others that could cause the same problem and in that case I think you just need to scroll through the document until you can find any symbols.