Applying templates

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
rojarani
Propeller Head

Applying templates

Post by rojarani »

Hello Experts,

I have an old help in an old template. I am looking to rebrand it on a new template. Did download a template, flare project file, but then wondering how to apply the new template over the old one! Is there an automated way to do it? Or anyway that can make things easier to get the task done! Please advise.

Thanks,
Rani
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Applying templates

Post by doloremipsum »

I don't think you've really given enough information here, sorry!

It sounds like you have an old Help *output* and you want to convert it to new Flare *source* files (so you can create a new output with updated branding). If so, what you can do is create a new Flare project by importing you CHM/HTML Help/whatever (File > New > Import options). This will convert what you have into Flare topic files.

This will probably create a big messy Flare project, including the 'template' files - stylesheets, skins, etc. You can replace these files with whatever new files you want. However, this is probably only the beginning - for example, the styles used in your old help probably don't match what is used in the new stylesheet, so you'll probably have to either rewrite the old stylesheet or do find and replace operations on the old topics. And the topics themselves will also need a lot of cleaning up probably, because converting output to source is never neat.

This is just what I understood from the limited information you gave - if this isn't your situation please explain further!
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Applying templates

Post by NorthEast »

I didn't read it that the OP wanted to convert output back to source, but agree that more information is needed.

When you create a project from a template in Flare, what it calls a "template" is actually a whole collection of stuff - stylesheets, master pages, page layouts, skins, sample content (like a home page).
So think of the template as a starter project, it's not something like a "theme" which you can easily switch from one to another.

So if you're changing the "template", you basically need to know to change each of these elements in the project; e.g. how to set a different stylesheet, master pages, page layouts, skins, etc.