Replacing existing topics when importing markdown

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
evn
Jr. Propeller Head

Replacing existing topics when importing markdown

Post by evn »

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has come across this scenario and what your workflow looks like:

I have a set of markdown files that each have a counterpart .htm topic in my Flare project. From what I can tell, importing these into Flare initially will create a separate set of .htm files rather than replacing the existing files. Is that correct? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Just wondering if there is a way to replace files instead of creating new ones on import? Subsequently, linking will take care of this, but not initially.

Any advice much appreciated.

AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Replacing existing topics when importing markdown

Post by AlanKearns »

At the point of import, you are prompted with a list of files that would be overwritten. You just need to select the checkboxes next to them to overwrite them rather than create 'file_1.htm's before continuing to import.
evn
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Replacing existing topics when importing markdown

Post by evn »

Thanks so much for your response.

What I find is, if I select a file to override, MadCap automatically creates new files (with _<n> suffixes) in place of the files I didn't select. If I select all files instead, MadCap reimports everything and replaces all the files regardless of whether they've been updated since the last import. The unmodified files are replaced by later copies (even though they're unchanged as far as contents) - but at least selecting all doesn't create additional files.

I did end up talking to MadCap support about this. Apparently, this works as expected from Flare's point of view. I'd prefer that only files with actual changes get reimported, but there doesn't seem to be a way to achieve that without creating additional files.

Do you see this behaviour as well?