Import file merge conflicts

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
mzdanio
Jr. Propeller Head

Import file merge conflicts

Post by mzdanio »

Hi,

Our team uses global project linking to import shared content into several child projects.

We also use MadCap Central as our source control.

We keep running into merge conflicts with the import files (.flimpfl). Anytime a writer runs the import, the LastImport time is updated in the file. But if multiple writers run the import and then try to Sync with Central, the second writer runs into a merge conflict.

What are the best practices for dealing with this situation. I don't want source control to ignore the file because I want to make sure all writers have the same File Pattern.

Is there a way to stop the LastImport attribute from being updated? Or just remove it all together?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Import file merge conflicts

Post by doloremipsum »

Ok, so I don't know if this is best practice but here's what I've done:
  • We have a global project and several child projects.
  • Each child project contains an import file (let's call this Import1). This file's only purpose is to import another import file (Import2) from global.
  • Import2 contains the instructions for importing the actual content that is needed from Global.
  • Import2 is listed on the .gitignore in all of the child projects.
  • You only need to use Import1 when there is an update Import2 in the global project, so merge errors are rarely an issue.
  • Import2 is used frequently, but ignored by git so the LastUpdated field does not cause merge errors.
It's probably not a good solution but it's all I've managed to come up with!
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.