Word Import: Tables losing their borders (and a workaround)

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
RStreets
Propeller Head

Word Import: Tables losing their borders (and a workaround)

Post by RStreets »

I use a fairly simple table stylesheet in my HTML5 projects: header row with a different background colour, single-point solid line around the table and for column/row divisions, rounded corners. Periodically, I import Word documents (authored by other folk) which contain tables, almost always two- or three-column, and with nothing complicated in the way of merged cells or subheadings.... I point the import to the table stylesheet (I select both the "auto-fit to content" and the "first row is header" options).
Everything seems to work with these imports until the results are viewed in Chrome, at which point the outer border of the table vanishes! It displays perfectly well in Firefox and Edge; Chrome is the only browser to have a problem.
missing-borders.png
I tried resetting local formatting and even changing to another table stylesheet and back. The problem persists.
Manually creating new tables and copying over the imported cells from the "broken" tables removes the problem, but that's a nuisance.
I ran a test import and had a look at the imported table compared with a manually added one. The following are the beginnings of each table definition:
* Start of good table definition:

Code: Select all

<table class="TableStyle-SmartSpaceTable" style="mc-table-style: url('../Resources/TableStyles/SmartSpaceTable.css'); margin-left: 0; margin-right: auto;" cellspacing="0">
            <col class="TableStyle-SmartSpaceTable-Column-Column1" />
* Start of failed table definition:

Code: Select all

<table style="border-collapse: collapse;mc-table-style: url('../Resources/TableStyles/SmartSpaceTable.css');" class="TableStyle-SmartSpaceTable" cellspacing="0">
(no columns defined below)

As an experiment, I replaced the failed code with the working <table... > tag (didn't bother with the column defs). The table now displays correctly with its borders in all three browsers.
That's a quicker fix. (I've reported this as a bug.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rae Streets (Flare user since 2017, now on Flare 2023; Central user from 2020)