Importing from Word does not work, Flare hangs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Sarianna
Propeller Head

Importing from Word does not work, Flare hangs

Post by Sarianna »

Hello all,

I just downloaded a trial version of Flare 9. Otherwise I have a new computer with Windows 8 and Word 2010. Now I'm trying to start out by importing a very basic Word document (.docx, 146 KB, a couple of figures and tables) into Flare, but it keeps getting stuck on "Scanning Source Documents". In 30 minutes nothing happens, the scanning percentage bar does not even start to move forward, but there is no error message either.

Flare does not respond to clicking Cancel or the red X in the top corner of the scanning window, and Close Window from the Windows taskbar icon does not work either. The only way to shut Flare down is via the Task Manager, in which, curiously, Flare still seems to be "Running" instead of "Not Responding", although it actually does not respond to anything.

I couldn't find any other recent forum topics on this issue, so I suppose it can't be very common. Does anyone know if there's any solution?

Thanks in advance,
Sarianna
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing from Word does not work, Flare hangs

Post by Msquared »

Welcome to the Flare community!

I believe MadCap offer free support for the duration of your trial. Give them a call, or email them. You will find them most helpful. Should you decide to buy, you will find that their support is second to none too. :-)

I don't have any problems importing from Word, but I'm using Windows 7, so it may be something that's specific to Windows 8. In any case, I'm sure that MadCap support will soon have you sorted out.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
Sarianna
Propeller Head

Post by Sarianna »

Thanks, I think I will contact MadCap's support. So far I'm not too impressed with Windows 8, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that turned out to be the problem...
Sarianna
Propeller Head

Post by Sarianna »

For the benefit of anyone else experiencing the same problem, here's the reply I got from MadCap support:

Please check the following option in the Options Dialog of Flare.
(File | Options | General | Import/Export Word Files Without MS Office)
The behavior can be caused by using a 64bit version of Word.

This worked for me, even though I do have MS Office 2010 installed.
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Post by Msquared »

Thanks for letting us all know. It's always useful to know when a problem has been solved, and even more useful to know what the fix was. We can all learn more about Flare. :-)

Do post again if you have more questions. There are lots of very helpful people here!
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
Jens_O
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Jens_O »

Did work for me too.
  • Windows 8.1 - 64 bit
  • Flare 10.2
  • MS Word 2013 (Office 365)
Thanks!
SeaSue6
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by SeaSue6 »

I had this problem or one like it with Flare 12 and Word 2013. (I don't know if the versions are significant.)
Flare would hang and the import could not complete.
The problem was solved by Madcap Technical support with this instruction: :)
Enable the option "Import/Export Word Files Without MS Office" and see if the behavior is corrected? This option is available in Flare via File>Options>General."