Import Multiple Word Docs to Separate sub-books/Chapters?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
nickw
Jr. Propeller Head

Import Multiple Word Docs to Separate sub-books/Chapters?

Post by nickw »

I had hoped that with Flare 10 you could now import multiple Word files and they would be automatically separated into chapters/folders in one book? I can't see any resolution of this issue on the forum but are we likely to see this (ever) as the problem was reported 4 years ago?
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Import Multiple Word Docs to Separate sub-books/Chapters?

Post by wclass »

You are right - there is still no resolution after all these years (and all these requests). I'd like to see this Word import feature as well.
I'd also add that we need to be able to map ALL styles on import (and output). I still need to map list styles between Word and Flare, and I'm still frustrated by the multiple styles generated like p_1, p_2, and li_1, li_2, li_3 and so on.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
nickw
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by nickw »

I do like Flare, but it is very frustrating as I am sure that many years ago when I was using Robohelp, it would carry out this task automatically (if only RH would not have fallen over so many times in the process though!).
As it is, if you want to import multiple word documents then they all get put under the same folder as topics and you have to spend ages manually creating a TOC and trying to sort out which files go where. Come on MadCap..what's the point of feedback if it's shoved in the 'Ignore' bin?
Further more, you have to spend so much time reducing your word document down to something that Flare can handle (without after importing then spending ages messing around in Flare)that it becomes a miserable experience.
The import mapping I can't fathom as it seems to 'occasionally' have a mind of its own!
On a plus point, I am very glad to see Madcap rationalised their help topics from the insane ramblings they used to be - well done!
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I suggest you all put in another feature request, see my footer. The more people put in a request, the more likely it is to be actioned.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Phlandrew
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Import Multiple Word Docs to Separate sub-books/Chapters

Post by Phlandrew »

Is this still the case, 3 years on? I have dozens of Word docs to import :(
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Import Multiple Word Docs to Separate sub-books/Chapters

Post by wclass »

Yes, Flare v2017 still imports all files into the same folder.

Here is an idea - have you tried just copying and editing the import text file and replacing the Word file name? I am sure we could create a macro to do this sort of thing.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne