Word import issues

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Word import issues

Post by cayennep »

I see others seem to just live with the cleanup required when importing word docs, but wonder if you all have filed bugs?

There is allegedly a 'fix' in Flare 12, 92912, that 'fixes' an issue where 'Do not preserve Word styles' works. allegedly.

I see absolutely no difference, as I've never seen a difference between selecting 'preserve word styles' and 'do not preserve word styles'

Anybody see any change? I would really like to know what's been done, since they're claiming this 'fix' but I can't see a thing.

I find this really troublesome, as importing word is one of the main things I do, and it requires extensive find and replace using expressions and strings. i also find it really bothersome that they have this option in Flare, and it doesn't do anything. Nothing. Nada. No difference. This seems like such a big issue, to provide a UI option that actually doesn't do a thing, and I wonder why they don't fix this, and if others are logging this request?

thanks for weighing in....
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Word import issues

Post by wclass »

Yes, I've been filing bug reports, and I think the one you are referring to is one of mine.
After a change, something stopped working in the import process, and I reported that, and then they put in a fix to get back to where we started, so no, you probably won't see a change.

I still have major problems with the Word import. I don't like the way lists have inline styles added - always cleaning that one up. I don't like the way list items are often put in a list on there own - requires clean-up. I don't like the bookmarks that get inserted and generated tocs pointing to those bookmarks instead of the topics. And I don't like the way it always generates a new style sheet and a master page - just "why?"

I do see a difference between preserve and don't preserve, but mostly I am just trying to get the content so I always select don't preserve. The different choices affect how the stylesheet is generated, which I usually discard anyway.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne