Flare Import Error: Word Cannot Save File In XML Format

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
BenRossNES
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare Import Error: Word Cannot Save File In XML Format

Post by BenRossNES »

Hello,

I am receiving the following error when importing Microsoft Word documents into MadCap Flare v11:

"The document cannot be be imported to Flare unless Microsoft Word can save the file in XML format."

Trying to import any Word file fails for this reason. However, when using Microsoft Word, I am able to successfully save these files as XML docs. Has anyone ever experienced this issue before? Any input as to a workaround or resolution would be helpful, thanks.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare Import Error: Word Cannot Save File In XML Format

Post by wclass »

This error pops up every now and then. Not sure of the exact reason but simplifying your word document can usually get it through.
If the Word doc has macros, they can cause problems; same with cover pages.
Some people have found that clearing the Import option to Create a Page Layout ... also avoids the issue.

Have a look at these old threads for some suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18838
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14161
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
BenRossNES
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare Import Error: Word Cannot Save File In XML Format

Post by BenRossNES »

Thanks for your help. I was able to resolve this by saving the Word documents in question as XML, then opening the XML documents in Word and saving them back into .docx format. I am not sure this was necessary, but I've updated a lot of different software items on my PC recently, so something must have gotten thrown out of whack.