How to detect poorly formed DITA on Reimport or on Build?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
JeromeR
Propeller Head

How to detect poorly formed DITA on Reimport or on Build?

Post by JeromeR »

Hi,

I'm setting up a pilot project that imports source DITA content into Flare. Quoting from the Help:
Auto-reimport before 'Generate Output' This is also known as "Easy Sync." If you created a connection between your DITA source files and the Flare project earlier in the wizard, you will likely make future content changes in the source files. When you make such changes, the source files need to be re-imported into the project so that they can be included in the output. You have the option of re-importing the files manually. However, you can also tell Flare to do this for you automatically, so that you do not have to. Select this option if you want Flare to automatically re-import DITA files when you attempt to build output.
Here's what happens: 1. I've selected the option. 2. I make a change in the DITA that unknowingly breaks the DITA. 3. The topic does not re-import when I regenerate the Flare project, and no warning appears.

I eventually discovered that "failure to reimport" happens when the DITA is poorly formed. (I am writing it in Notepad, for now, because IT hasn't yet provided me with a DITA editor, such as oXygen, so malformed DITA will happen).

There are no warnings or errors in the Build Log (log file). The only workaround I've found is to re-import the project. Then the wizard parses the DITA and gives error messages—so clearly Flare has the ability to validate DITA. [I wish it would also validate the DITA on Reimport.]

Here's my question:
  • Is there a message somewhere in Flare that the DITA was poorly formed and therefore not reimported?
Thanks for any answers you can provide.