Importing the £ (GBP currency symbol) works intermittently

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
JeromeR
Propeller Head

Importing the £ (GBP currency symbol) works intermittently

Post by JeromeR »

Hi,

I'm importing text from two sample DITA files into separate Flare projects:
  • From the Encyclopedia Britannia (a common DITA sample on the Internet).
  • From my client's sample text.
In Flare, in the Encyclopedia project, the Great Britain Pound symbol, £, imports and appears correctly.
In Flare, in the client's sample-text project, the Great Britain Pound symbol, £, imports and appears as � (a diamond-questionmark).

This discrepancy occurs even when I copy the £ character (the one that works) from the Encyclopedia DITA source into the client's DITA source, and then re-import.

Here's what i thought to check

I copied and pasted the £ character into the client's project in Flare, and then it appears correctly. But I need it to import correctly, because we'll be updating the content in DITA, outside of Flare, since Flare doesn't support editing of DITA. The "£" It seems to mess up in the import process.

To rule out that it's font-related, I checked the CSS, which has very few font settings. I made the CSS the same in both projects. In the client's project. However, the "£" STILL appears incorrectly as "�" once imported.

In both projects, the project language is set to English (United Kingdom), but the problem also occurs when they're both set to English (United States).

Both projects are on the same computer, so it cannot be the operating system or regional settings.

My question:
  • What could it be? How can I import the £ without it displaying as a character?
Thanks in advance for any answers.