New Flare 2016r2 install fails to open Word Import wizard!

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
rgrace
Propeller Head

New Flare 2016r2 install fails to open Word Import wizard!

Post by rgrace »

Just going Project -> Import -> Word Document, I get this ugly message:

System.InvalidCastException occurred at 12/2/2016 11:41:39 AM

Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.ApplicationClass' to interface type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00020970-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: Error loading type library/DLL. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80029C4A (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)).

Brand-new install, everything worked perfectly till now. This looks like a .NET error. Unfortunately, this is running Framework 4.5.1, so It appears to be up to date.

I suspect this may be partially (or entirely) due to the fact that while the system it's running on is a cutting-edge Dell notebook with Quad-core i7 and SSD, our IT runs Windows 7 Ultimate on all managed systems. This system has it and it cannot be changed. However, I am going to attempt the same operation on my Windows 10 system at home to see if it reproduces the behavior. I suspect it will work without a murmur.

Has anyone else seen this? Any thoughts on what they did to fix it other than what I plan to do? Thank you!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: New Flare 2016r2 install fails to open Word Import wizar

Post by Nita Beck »

Assuming that you haven't solved the issue and given that this is a brand new installation, I'd contact MadCap tech support.

If you *have* solved the issue, please post what the resolution was for the benefit of others who might encounter the same problem.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I use 2016r2 on Win 7 without issues so far. As far as Win 10 goes, across the board only trouble, but that is with Win 10 itself, not Flare.
Paulie
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paulie »

Hi there,

The dll that it is complaining about is actually installed as part of the Microsoft Office installation. I'd suggest trying a repair or reinstall of Microsoft Office to see if that fixes the problem.
"In an ideal world, software should be simple, well designed, and completely intuitive to end users. In the real world, good documentation is king."