Re-importing and syncing variable sets

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
CoolLime
Propeller Head

Re-importing and syncing variable sets

Post by CoolLime »

Hi all, I am confused about the Global Project Linking aspect of re-importing. I have a "Master" project as well as child project. I know that GPL does an auto-reimport when you generate output in the child project--but what is the use of that for things like variable sets when, say, you add a variable in the Master and need it available to use in the child project *before* generating output (in other words, while you are authoring)?

Is there something I am missing here? If I add a variable at the Master Project level do I have to go back and manually re-import every time I add one?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Re-importing and syncing variable sets

Post by Nita Beck »

Yes. If you add something to the global/parent project that you then need to use in the local/child project, you need to re-import it on demand. Open the import file and click Re-import on the toolbar. Flare will tell you which files in the global/parent project are newer than those in the local/child project and you can accept all of those or select specific ones to re-import.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
CoolLime
Propeller Head

Post by CoolLime »

Thanks for that, Nita--I am just wondering if finding the correct import file to re-import isn't going to become cumbersome as I add more and more stuff to the Master... how do you manage that?
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

The method we use is:
1. In the parent/master project, apply a GPL condition against all relevant files.
2. In the child project, create a single import file and set it up to import ALL files (i.e., *.*) that have the GPL condition tag applied.

Typically, this means that each child project only has one import file which can be run at any time.
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2020 / Windows 10 64-Bit
Screaming Symphony