Imported Topic Names

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
TheBrittleTechWriter
Propeller Head

Imported Topic Names

Post by TheBrittleTechWriter »

When importing Word files, manual page breaks in Word forces a new topic file in Flare.

However, the name of that new file varies. Sometimes it's named for the first sentence following the page break, as I'd expect. Sometimes it's named for the document.

What causes the difference?

For example, I'd expect it to named "New Heading.htm" for the Heading 1 text following the page break, but occasionally it's "My Document Name_1.htm", for the document file name.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Imported Topic Names

Post by wclass »

I have observed the same thing - don't know for sure but can have a guess at the answer.

If, for example, you split a document at Heading 1, then if you have a page break after a heading 1 it will use the text for the file name.
If the manual page break comes near the start of the document before any Heading 1's then it uses the name of the document. Also, if you have another sort of heading, like a Title, then the topic file name reverts to the document name.

Don't know why ...
It should probably just use the text in the document.

I admit that I am now in the habit of removing all manual page breaks from a Word document before import so that I have more control, and I also try and set file names in the Word fields for even more fine tuning.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
TheBrittleTechWriter
Propeller Head

Post by TheBrittleTechWriter »

That's a good observation.I got their tech support to confirm that.

In my case, I was using a Section Break (New Page) and a manual page break combination, intentionally, for formatting reasons. If the first Section break was styled as Heading 1, the document was named as expected, that is, the text of the next Heading 1 as expected. Otherwise, it got named with an underscore (like fileName_1.htm, as if there was a name conflict). I agree, it doesn't make sense that should happen, but then again, just figuring out these quirks is victory enough at times.

The other case I'm running into is it uses a shortened variation of the name. For example, for the file User Validation Green Procedure.htm, it comes out, not as the first heading of the text, as I would expect, but as User Validation Green.htm, without the last word.
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

There is an option in the Import > Options tab where you can set approximate filename length. Default is 24, which might be too short for you. Try testing that with larger numbers.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne