Importing Word documents for HTML output

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
MadAsAHatter17
Jr. Propeller Head

Importing Word documents for HTML output

Post by MadAsAHatter17 »

I am working through a new project for one of our teams. They currently have an extensive workflow process to get process documentation approved, where documents go through multiple review sessions by several parties and they use the track changes feature in Word. Once the document is approved, our new goal will be to import that document into Flare and publish it to an HTML5 output for ease of access. Here is the problem I am having with this...

The documents have to be in the pre-approved standardized layout. The template that they use has a header and footer where several bits of necessary information are stored, including approval and revision dates, workflow numbers, process owner, etc. When I import the document, it pulls the header and footer information into a page layout for print outputs. Is it possible to get Flare to import the headers and footers as part of the actual document instead of converting them to a page layout? I've been digging for days, and have come up with squat about others trying to do this... :?
GregStenhouse
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Importing Word documents for HTML output

Post by GregStenhouse »

I don't think it's possible to change this behaviour out of the box. However being XML-based Flare is well set up for working with programmatically. You could, for example, create a post-clean-up script or command-line program that reads in the imported page layout, and converts found text in there to variables that are used in other boilerplate topics.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Importing Word documents for HTML output

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

Did you ever think of DocToHelp as an alternative to Flare??
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)