Rearranging the sequence of imported word project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Rearranging the sequence of imported word project

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Hi, I am MJ. I have imported a word project into MadCap Flare 2017, all went well except few files are not visible(they are there in list) and some got reshuffled... like 2nd sheet swapped with 3rd sheet. Can anyone help me in rearranging the place of sheet(files) and make visible to those who are not visible on viewing the output. My output is pdf.

Thanks well in advance.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Rearranging the sequence of imported word project

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Welcome to the forums, MJ.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by files being "visible" (visible where? In Content Explorer? In the Table of Contents?) and what you mean by "reshuffled". I'm not sure either what you mean by "sheet", that's not a term generally used in Flare.

In Content Explorer, files are listed in alphabetical order, you can't change the order there.

If files aren't appearing in your PDF, check the TOC used in the target to see if they are present there. If not, then add them and retry.

I'm guessing your first language is not English, so I hope you can understand my reply.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thank you ChoccieMuffin for your reply with some Qs, it will make me improve. Yes, my first language is not English and also I am new to Flare so could not use the proper terminologies.

I have imported the word project(35 pages) into the Flare project as pdf output, my issues are......

1. In pdf I got only 25 pages because of some text is missing in every file. Why text is missing I do not know.
2. Visible... as in 2-3 file(i.e. 2-3 word pages) are not appearing in pdf output. But they are there in content explorer.
3. In word project I do have 2 pages before the TOC(so called Index) but pdf output starts with TOC only. Can I have same as word, does Flare support that?
4. I know that files are sorted alphabetically under Content Explorer but how do they get their names?
5. I do not have Glossary on my word project but it is there on pdf, mentioning........ My Term, My Definition.
6. Also..... Can you please help me in setting headers and footers for word and HTML output, I did get for pdf output.

I tried same with word output but the issue remain same.

I believe picture is more clear now .

Thanks for understanding and replying me. :)
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

I am not sure why content is missing from your topics (a topic is one of the HTML files in the Content Explorer). Word is temperamental and it is possible you have something in your document Flare can't interpret correctly, or maybe there is just a bug in Flare that is interfering. Without more detail I can't really say. One of the things to be careful of is "floating" content in Word (images which are not in-line with the text, text in floating text boxes, etc. Flare should import these things, but they have to go into the document somewhere, and they may not appear where you expect.

PDF (and Word) output from Flare is based on the order of topics in the table of contents (TOC) file. Normally, your Word import should build a TOC with all of your topics in it, but if there are topics missing from your output that you can see in content explorer, make sure they are in the TOC. You can also rearrange the topics in the TOC to shuffle them around in the output.

To deal with material before your TOC, removing the glossary, etc., open the target file (from Project Organizer) and click the Advanced tab. I expect that you will see the Generate TOC proxy, Generate index proxy, and Generate glossary proxy boxes all checked. Flare deals with these elements of a printed document by creating proxies, which are tags that it fills in with the appropriate information during the build. If these boxes are checked, Flare automatically creates topics with these proxies and adds them to your TOC. For more control over this, clear these boxes and create your own TOC and index topics (and omit the glossary one if you don't want one). These topics will usually be mostly empty topics, just with the heading and the proxy element which can add using the Insert tab of the ribbon. At the far right there is a Proxy dropdown where you can find all the proxy elements to insert. Put these topics in your TOC where you want them, and you can insert your title page, etc. before the TOC proxy as you wanted.

Flare names topics automatically when you import. Most topics will begin with a heading and Flare uses that heading, or a shortened version of it (depending on options you can choose during the import), or the same with a number after it if there are repeated headings, etc. If a topic does not begin with a heading then Flare may use some of the initial text in the topic. When you create your own topics you can specify a name for them as you create them.

The headers and footers of PDF output are based on what are called Page Layouts. Again, your Word import should create one. These page layouts contain one or more page types (you can have different left and right pages, different first page, etc.) each of which contains one or more frames. The main frame called body is a placeholder, to be filled in with content from the topics. There are other frames for headers, footers, and other decorations you may have on every page. It's possible your Word import did not preserve everything from your headers and footers, but you can go in and fix these up if needed (remember to look at all the page types you have created!)
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thank you very much Devjoe,

I did get all your points.
-- In text missing part, headings are intact but the text under heading is the last line of paragraph or the last line of last paragraph. Is there any issue in the way of I am importing?

-- Can I block glossary/TOC... at the time of importing ? Because when imported same project first time glossary did not appear. After that I imported 5-6 times, all time glossary appeared.
Mritunjay_g wrote:The headers and footers of PDF output are based on what are called Page Layouts.
Ys, I got it done but same does not work for word and HTML output.

Again thank for all.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Mritunjay_g wrote:-- In text missing part, headings are intact but the text under heading is the last line of paragraph or the last line of last paragraph. Is there any issue in the way of I am importing?
That sounds really weird. Do you have floating headings (which Flare somehow decided occur in the middle of another paragraph) and the other part of these paragraphs is stuck at the end of another topic?

Or, the other way around, does your text float and in the import result, your first paragraph of each topic is somehow running behind the heading? Can you check the source? Click the Text Editor tab in the window where you are editing the topic, and see if the missing text appears. This would have to be fixed with a style change of some sort, once you figure out what sort of formatting in the imported topics is causing this behavior.
Mritunjay_g wrote:-- Can I block glossary/TOC... at the time of importing ? Because when imported same project first time glossary did not appear. After that I imported 5-6 times, all time glossary appeared.
If you stick with the same PDF target where you have turned off the option, imports of additional Word documents into the project should not not change the option. If you are importing all those Word documents into separate projects, I do not know of any settings that will automatically configure that. However, what you could do is make a blank shell project which has a lot of the settings you want (and stylesheets, the proxies I mentioned, etc.) and make copies of it, then import the word documents into the project (Project tab | Import | MS Word documents).
Mritunjay_g wrote:
The headers and footers of PDF output are based on what are called Page Layouts.
Ys, I got it done but same does not work for word and HTML output.
Word outputs do use page layouts, but I don't personally have experience with doing that. HTML output is different because it is not paginated; if you want a header and footer on each topic, you can use a master page to configure those features.
Mritunjay_g
Propeller Head

Post by Mritunjay_g »

Thank You Devjoe.
devjoe wrote:Word outputs do use page layouts
I tried but did not work out.

Once again Thank you very much.