Frame to Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Greg
Sr. Propeller Head

Frame to Flare

Post by Greg »

I've imported dozens of Word docs but I am a newbie with Frame importing. Some issues in my first attempts:

1. Flare creates new Pagelayouts. Can I just get rid of them if I have my own already setup? Is there an advantage to keeping them?
2. After I click Finish on the import wizard, the Messages window displays "Failed to import files" but it in fact does import files. What's happening here? Could a few broken x-refs be the issue here?

TIA
Sean
Propeller Head

Re: Frame to Flare

Post by Sean »

Bump.

Same question about page layouts. What are they used for?

I had one broken cross-reference error importing a book. So, I rechecked my book in FM for unresolved cross references and found none. I reviewed the chapter in question and found none. Reimported, same error. So, I threw everything away and reimported using only the chapter files and not the book. The error did not appear.
Sean
Propeller Head

Post by Sean »

I think the answer is that I have to manually add the topics I want into the TOC for that output. :mrgreen:
naddy23nair
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by naddy23nair »

Hello Greg,

I think I will be able to fix this issue for you. It will be great if you share a few documents so that I can try and replicate the issue and find a resolution for you.
devjoe
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by devjoe »

Sean wrote:Same question about page layouts. What are they used for?
Page layouts are used for defining the way pages are structured in print outputs like PDF. You typically have a header frame, footer frame, and body frame, with the header and footer containing static content and variables like page number which are repeated on each page, and the body frame gets filled in with content from your topics. The sizes of these frames define your margins. You can also define different left and right pages, a different first page for each chapter, etc.

Since you imported from a print-type document, Flare generated a page layout to save the information of this type from the imported document. If you aren't going to be making such an output, you can delete it.
cayennep
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by cayennep »

I'm also a Frame to Flare newbie, I've imported Word a lot but there are some new issues.

There are a LOT of broken links. In the files, they have names like 'import-link-appconfig-js_84038_484044'

Not sure where this is coming from, and unfortunately it takes a while (looking at the live output, produced with webworks) to find the file/link.

There's no matching between the file name, the link, and the header, and there are a LOT of filename markers used in the Frame source, that were needed to produce the webworks output. I believe these looooonnnngggg links are likely pointing to filename markers. We thought the filename markers were needed for CSH, but I'm not at all sure that those will 'just work' for the contextual help links that exist now. Not on my plate to test & we will see when we get there, but again if others know please pipe up!

Someone had imported all the individual files, on the premise that all links would be preserved - which I don't think is the case. But, doing it this way created NO TOC, and a bunch of files named with no relation to their headers or anything useful (to me). So I made the decision to import books, which at least makes it easier to find things, and creates a useful TOC if the TOC is in the Frame book.

It's not sounding like too many folks have done this, but any insights on improvements to the process would be appreciated! I think it's just going to be hunt and peck, and also using Analyzer, but open to suggestions & experience.

thanks kindly