.flimpfl not being updated on import

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Wintermute
Jr. Propeller Head

.flimpfl not being updated on import

Post by Wintermute »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but it appears that the .flimpfl file is not being updated on import, even though it's in the include pattern. I have a template project and a bunch of derivative projects. Each of those has a .flimpfl file pointing to the template project. The .flimpfl file has an include pattern which covers a number of file types (.css, .flvar, etc.), including the .flimpfl file itself, so that any changes to the template include pattern would be reflected in the descendant projects. At least that was the plan. However, when I import from the template project, each file is updated nicely except .flimpfl. Interestingly, it is included in CollectedSourceFiles and GeneratedFiles. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I doing something wrong?
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: .flimpfl not being updated on import

Post by roboHAL »

Hi Wintermute.

It sounds/reads as though you know what you're doing (i.e. not doing anything "wrong") :)

I can suggest one thing for you to check. The ** Removed Links ** tab of the Project Import Editor. It's possible that somehow the Import file is listed there and if so, that would explain why it is not being imported from your source project. You could also open the file in notepad and ensure the IncludePattern and ExcludePattern is equivalent to what you are expecting/seeing in the GUI. Note that my previous recommendation of checking the Removed Links becomes all the more evident while viewing in notepad, because despite the fact there may be nothing listed in the ExcludedPattern, there could be listed ExcludedFiles :shock:

Beyond this, perhaps a note to MadCap Tech Support is warranted. :|
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Importing *.flimpfl files works fine for me.

Just to check, these import files don't have the same filename do they?
If your import file is MyImport.flimpfl, then it can't import a file from another project also called MyImport.flimpfl - it can't overwrite itself.
Wintermute
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Wintermute »

Thank you for your input and sorry for not replying, but I didn't get any notification about the post :?

roboHAL, the .flimpfl is not among the excluded files, neither in the GUI nor in the file itself. I agree it's good practice to open all of these config files in notepad. I've learned that certain things which are not possible in the GUI can in fact be done directly in the XML :)

Dave Lee, I think you are right! All the .flimpfl files do have the same name. I'll check if changing the name helps with the issue, but it seems logical enough. In the meantime, I wrote a simple C# program to update the include pattern in my projects, so I'm good either way :)