Get Flare 11 to work with FrameMaker 2017?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Get Flare 11 to work with FrameMaker 2017?

Post by Phlawm53 »

---
Flare 11.1.2 (final release version), FrameMaker 2017 (trial version).

There are OLD forum posts about this but I can't find any recent ones. So I'm re-asking for guidance. The sooner the better...

Need to import some FM files on the way to converting them to Flare. Although I have FrameMaker 2017 installed, Flare 11 tells me Adobe FrameMaker is required to import FrameMaker documents.

I have reinstalled Flare 11 in the hopes that might help. Interestingly, when I did that uninstall/reinstall with FM 2017 open, the Flare 11.1.2 installation program told me that Flare is uninstalling its FrameMaker plugin. Please exit FrameMaker that the uninstall can proceed.

I have found old forum posts with fixes for older versions of Flare and FM. Do any of these work for Flare 11.1.2? If not, is there a way to get Flare 11 working with FM 2017?

Cheers & thanks,
Riley
SFO
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Get Flare 11 to work with FrameMaker 2017?

Post by Nita Beck »

Probably it's becuase Flare 11 predates FrameMaker 2017. Maybe you could use a newer version of Flare to do the import (as I don't think the import process as changed anytime recently) just to get the content pulled in and then later open the project in Flare 11 to do the rest of your cleanup and design. Of course, I'm assuming that you have access to multiple versions of Flare. If you don't, perhaps you could get the trial version of Flare 2017 r2 and use it long enough to do the initial import.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

Nita:

Thanks. I used up a trial instance of Flare 2017 a couple of months ago. So I can't re-trial it as far as I know.

Still hoping to find a costs-effective solution. My Flare gigs aren't generating enough revenue to justify upgrading to a version that does very little that I need done... (SOOOO tired of this kind of [stuff] -- Dear Software, give the user control rather than try to think for him or her...)

Cheers & thanks 'gain,
Riley
Phlawm53
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Phlawm53 »

------
I recalled that I had a licensed copy of FrameMaker 9 on a self-burned CD-ROM. So I installed that.

However, Flare 11 then complained about not being able to update the maker.ini file in FM's installation directory. So I changed the file's access privileges to permit Flare to write the location of the DLL it uses to handle FM files. (I normally install programs into my Windows computer's D: drive. That eliminates these sorts of stupid write-access issues. But in this case I installed FM in the C: drive to ensure that Flare didn't have trouble finding it. Sigh...)

I then used a trial instance of FrameMaker 2017 to (1) Save the FM files I needed to convert as MIFs, (2) open the MIFs in FM 9, then (3) Save the MIFs as FM 9 files. Ta da!

So I have circumvented the issue this time. Not sure what I'll do after the FM 2017 trial expires...

Cheers & hope this helps,
Riley