shared glossary + individual glossary

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

shared glossary + individual glossary

Post by pdenchfield »

Hi, how do you handle common glossary terms across multiple projects, when you also want project-specific term definitions?

For example, let's say I want to use the common definition (highlighted below) for "action group" but I also want to add project-specific content to the definition (such as "Includes core, connector, and custom...").
glossary-output.png
Here's the approach I devised:

In the Common project where we store items for reuse among multiple projects, I added:
* GlossaryShared.flvar variable set to hold common term definitions
* GlossaryShared.flglo glossary with each term definition using a variable from the above variable set

In each individual project, I:
* imported the above files from the Common project
* added an individual glossary "MyProjectN.flglo" with unique terms and definitions
* added a topic with a glossary proxy and made sure the topic was in the TOC
* selected both glossaries in the target (GlossaryShared.flglo, MyProjectN.flglo)

To add project-specific examples or other content to a definition, I:
* Recreate the term in MyProjectN.flglo, inserting the common variable to reuse that definition and then adding examples or other content
* Break the "Common" link from the imported GlossaryShared.flglo file
* Edit GlossaryShared.flglo to apply the "do not use" condition to the common term I recreated
glossary-shared-individual.png
The drawback is that if the shared .flglo file is updated in Common, I need to reimport to capture changes and then redo the steps for breaking the link and editing to apply "do not use" to previously tagged definitions and any new ones...

Have you used shared and individual glossaries in your projects? Got advice?

Thanks for any feedback!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sofie Bird
Propeller Head

Re: shared glossary + individual glossary

Post by Sofie Bird »

You can set multiple definitions for a variable, and then select which definition to use on a target level in the publishing projects.

So the Common project would contain a variable with all definitions of “action group” (productA, B and C) defined as multiple definitions (see: https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... iables.htm). It gets imported as per normal. In the target(s) of ProductA, you select to use the ProdctA variable definition. (SEE:
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... itions.htm)

Hope that's helpful.