Project Import - best practices

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
jkpalmer
Propeller Head

Project Import - best practices

Post by jkpalmer »

I am going to be developing a "Build" project which is going to import multiple existing Flare projects.

These projects were developed without being aware of the possibility of them being imported along with other projects that have the same file and folder names.

Does anyone have a list of "to-dos" that should be performed prior to performing the import, such as renaming all the folders or files to contain a project "prefix" so that any potential duplicates will be eliminated?

TIA

JP
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Project Import - best practices

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

I have just watched a webinar by Scott Loach that touches on this, so do check that out, it should be available in the usual place.

Scott suggests two different approaches:
Use a naming convention so that all topics and content from, say, Project A are preceded by "a_", same for Project B, and so on. That way, if you have a topic "getting_started.htm" in both Project A and Project B, if you rename them they'll come in as "a_getting_started.htm" and "b_getting_started.htm".

The other way he suggests (which is how I do it) is to move content in Project A to named folders. Scott didn't go into much detail on import files but it is possible to restrict WHAT you import by using conditions tags. Anyway, this is what I do.

In my \Content folder, instead of just having all my topics at that level I have \Content\ProjectA for my topic files, and also \Content\ProjectA_Images and \Content\ProjectA_snippets (rather than burying snippets and images in the \Content\Resources folder). I then apply a condition to those three folders and in the import file I use that condition. In my target project I now have folders \Content\ProjectA , \Content\ProjectA_Images , \Content\ProjectA_snippets and similar structures for any other projects I import, and I can see at a glance which topics, images and snippets were imported.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
jkpalmer
Propeller Head

Re: Project Import - best practices

Post by jkpalmer »

ChoccieMuffin,

I had watched Scott's webinar, but wasn't quite sure of the approach.

Now it makes perfect sense.

Thank you very much for your input.

Regards,

Jim P.