Is there a way to exclude a file from re-importing?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Is there a way to exclude a file from re-importing?

Post by whunter »

Say you run a Flare import to import some files from a source Flare target. And let's say one of the files you want to control locally instead of re-importing. Is there something that you can do in the target system to automatically keep that file from re-importing, as opposed to having to remember not to select the file in the Accept Imported Files dialog?

I can't just exclude the file from the import in the source (using conditions), because other people using the import may want the file to continue to be imported.
I can't just exclude the file type from the import, because other files of that type need to be imported. (I tried putting a specific file name in the Exclude Files box, but that doesn't work.)

I don't see a way to do this -- other than manually remembering not to check the box in the import dialog -- but I thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Is there a way to exclude a file from re-importing?

Post by Nita Beck »

In order to break the association between the imported file and its originating project, just try to make a trivial edit to it in the local project. Flare will warn you that you're trying to modify an imported file and will ask you how you want to proceed. One of the options will be to continue to edit the file locally and no longer associate it with the originating project. (I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist.)

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

And you have reminded me of the importance of being specific! I was mostly thinking of image files. Like, they could replace an imported image file with one of the same name, and then the imported topic that references the image still works and is unchanged, but then they have to remember not to re-import the image file.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

There is a way you can do this even with images.

Open the image in the internal text editor. (Yes, I know you just see garbage.)
Make a change. The Linked Document dialog box appears. There are three options. Click Remove the link and cancel the operation then click OK. A confirmation message appears, informing you that the file has been added to the Removed Links section of the import file.

To confirm that it has worked, open the relevant import file and click the Removed Links tab. You should see the file listed in there, and because you said to cancel the operation, the file itself has not been edited.

As long as you don't check in your import file, you won't need to remember to uncheck that image next time you re-import.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
whunter
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by whunter »

Thank you! I will try that.