Importing/converting a HTM- toc to a Flair-toc

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Tom
Propeller Head

Importing/converting a HTM- toc to a Flair-toc

Post by Tom »

Hi,

I've got an ols AUthor-IT project with only *.htm-files, so the import tool from Flair doesn't work (it needs a xml starting-file). I imported de project as HTM-project, but I want to import the existing table of contents. It is a htm-file named Toc.htm.

Is there a way to convert that file into a fltoc? It would safe me an awful lot of time (aout 400 entries/topics).

Thanks,
Tom
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing/converting a HTM- toc to a Flair-toc

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

If you open any existing Flare (note the spelling :wink: ) TOC in a text editor you can see how the file is constructed. I'm not familiar with Author-IT, but can you open the Author-IT TOC in a text editor and compare the structures? You may be able to do some find-and-replace operations to convert it from one to the other.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
Feebeegeebee
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Feebeegeebee »

Hi,
I'm not familiar with Author-It either, but I have just spotted something on the Madcap website that might help:
Author-it® Converter for MadCap Flare FREE

This utility is an XML conversion tool that will use the published XML output from Author-it® and convert it to a MadCap Flare project while maintaining all project and source files. The utility converts the table of contents of Author-it® books into Flare topics. Embedded topics become Flare snippets, while variables, styles, glossaries, context IDs and index keywords are maintained through the conversion process.
Here's a link:
https://www.madcapsoftware.com/download ... px#content

Hope it's of use.
Regards,
Feebeegeebee
-----------------------------------------------------
Using Flare 2022 on Windows 11 (64-bit)
-----------------------------------------------------
Tom
Propeller Head

Post by Tom »

Hi,
I'm afraid the AuthorIT-importer only accepts only xml-files and the old project only contains *.htm-files :(
Tom
Propeller Head

Post by Tom »

Hi,
Editing the old TOC is as much work as building a new TOC from scratch, I'm afraid
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi,

I agree with FeeBeeGeeBee, and Flare's can confirm that its Author It converter converts Author IT tocs to Flare tocs. Give it a try!
Please also read
https://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare20 ... uthor%20it.
Unfortunately documentation does not tell which Author It versions are supported.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
Tom
Propeller Head

Post by Tom »

I'm sorry, but as I mentioned already, the converter can only work with *.xml files. But the AuthorIT-project contains only *.htm. So the converter doesn't see any files.
SKamprowski
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by SKamprowski »

Hi Tom,

Here is part of documentation for the converter:
This utility uses the published XML output from Author-it and converts it to a Flare project, while maintaining all project and source files. You may need Output generated by Author It.
Kind regards,
Sabine Kamprowski
DocToHelp MVP (by ComponentOne)
flequus
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by flequus »

I know I am late to the game, but I think the Flare users that have never used Author-it do not understand you dilemma. To use the converter tool, you must have an active Author-it library where you can publish to XML. The OP only has the generated HTML files which will not import (I am assuming because there is proprietary AIT branding in the HTML).

I am afraid that you have discovered the same thing that I have; you cannot import your AIT content from HTML. If the XML is non-existent or less than optimal, the converter tool will not help you.

Author-it does not make it easy to move to a new tool and take your content with you. It does an abysmal job of publishing lists to its XML output. Makes me very happy we switched to Flare.