TIP: dummy "Replace" characters in Find and Replace

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

TIP: dummy "Replace" characters in Find and Replace

Post by Curlyshell »

I've been going through a nightmare Word import. (Frankly, it would have been faster for me to cut and paste all 600 pages of documentation, including 1500 images, from Word to Flare. Don't get me started!)

Anyhoo...On large-scale find-and-replace actions, I begin of course just FINDING the instances I'm targeting. But the ease of clicking Replace All instead of Find All is too dangerous, even with the warning. So I've been adding dummy characters into the Replace with field, just in case. I use "asdf" because it's an easy left-hand action while my right hand is going for the mouse.

I started doing this after clicking Replace All once when I wasn't supposed to. Thank goodness there were only two replacements I had to fix by hand!

Word to the wise.
"I'm a technical writer, not a developer," she said...
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TIP: dummy "Replace" characters in Find and Replace

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Nice. On the occasions that I'm worried about clicking Replace All by accident, I copy the Find value into the Replace field. This works for most non-Regex searches. For Regex searches, I enter a Replace expression that equals the Find expression (the two are not always the same string).

Cheers,
-jeff
Curlyshell
Propeller Head

Post by Curlyshell »

That's even better, thanks!
"I'm a technical writer, not a developer," she said...
Chicago_HPT
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Chicago_HPT »

Just be mindful of case-sensitivity! :wink: