Order of priority of controls in import file, and poss. bug?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Order of priority of controls in import file, and poss. bug?

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Afternoon all.

I'm getting myself confused with the order of priority in three settings in a Flare import file and wonder if you can help.

On top of that I don't know if I've discovered a bug in Flare, or whether it's behaving as designed and it's me that's wrong.

Background:
* Our documentation set is pretty big (37 different projects with 84 targets in this area of our work), and is a massive user of Global Project Linking.
* We have a Globals project which is imported into every other project. It contains stylesheets, page layouts, common content, global variable set and global condition set, common TOCs etc, including a variable set, Global_Data.flvar.
* We have some projects that are also imported into other projects. Bulletins is one example.

The problem:
* When I import Bulletins into a target project (import file shown below), the first time I run the import the Accept Imported Documents dialog box lists the files I would expect it to contain, including some files that were imported from the Globals project (outlined in red).
* The file Global_Data.flvar is included in the import, because the Auto-include linked files check box is selected, and it's used in one of the imported files. However, *.flvar is listed in the Exclude Files box, so why does Global_Data.flvar appear in the list?

The help file http://help.madcapsoftware.com/flare201 ... inking.htm seems to imply that things in the Exclude Files box takes precedence over both Auto-include linked files and exclusions in the Import Conditions box. This is the specific bit I'm on about in the Help:
Help wrote:Exclude Files > Auto-include Linked Files > Condition Tags
If you complete the Exclude Files field and the Import Conditions section, as well as select the "Auto-include linked files" check box, the exclude files takes highest precedence, then the auto-include files, and finally the condition tags.
Here is the Accept Imported Documents dialog box when it's first run. Files outlined in red come in from the Globals project and are in there because they're linked, files outlined in purple are in there because they're linked from the htm files.
BUT WHY is Global_Data.flvar shown in this list? Is it a bug or have I just got myself completely confused by spending far too long trying to work this lot out?
AcceptImportedDocs.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
millerTeri
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Order of priority of controls in import file, and poss.

Post by millerTeri »

I am having a similar issue. I also need to 'auto-include' linked files for my import, but need to explicitly exclude some of the linked files. I define the files to be excluded, but the import still picks them up. I am seeing this in Flare 2019 and 2017r3.