Cannot clear "Create new stylesheet' check box

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
rjplano
Propeller Head

Cannot clear "Create new stylesheet' check box

Post by rjplano »

Flare 2019 r2, importing a Word doc. On the Advanced Options tab of the Import Wizard, the 'Create new stylesheet' check box is selected and grayed out so I can't clear it. Doesn't matter which inline formatting option I have selected in the drop down directly below the check box. I'd rather not create a new stylesheet. Anyone seen this before and have a solution?

Thanks.
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Cannot clear "Create new stylesheet' check box

Post by AlanKearns »

I wonder if you ever solved this - it's just happened to me out of the blue. Seems to be across all my projects, too. Irritating.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

I was just about to post this exact question. I'm testing Flare 2021 r2
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlanKearns »

Since I want it to create a new stylesheet anyway, I wasn't originally worried, as I'd rather have that than add a 'Meta' comment to my main stylesheet at every import, but it seems that although the greyed box is checked, it's not actually doing that. It's behaving as if it's unchecked, and writing to my master stylesheet. This is a real problem.
ChoccieMuffin
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by ChoccieMuffin »

Yes, I've noticed something around this problem this and raised a bug, number 172020 (details below) so if you raise a bug, mention the one I've already raised as it's probably linked.

Funny enough, I've managed to get it to work in some other projects, here's what's in the first part of my import file, in case that's of use. You might want to open your import file as a text file and see what's different - it could be as little as a capital or lower case "T".

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<MsWordImport
 PreserveMappedStyles="True"
 CreateNewStylesheet="true"
 InlineFormatting="Keep"
 UseFirstHeadingAsTopicTitle="True"
 UseMaxCharLimit="False"
 MaxCharLimit="10000"
 UseMinCharLimit="True"
 MinCharLimit="50"
 AddContinuedLinks="true"
 ContinuedLinkFormat="(continued in {title})"
 AddContinuedFromLinks="False"
 ContinuedFromLinkFormat="(continued from {title})"
 FilenameLength="24"
 AutoFitTables="true"
 UseHeaderRows="False"
 TableStyles="None"
 UseListBullets="True"
 ConvertEquations="True"
 GeneratePageLayouts="False"
 PageBreaks="Ignore"
 KeepSourceLinks="true"
 AutoSync="true"
 ImportFolder="00_Introduction"
 Stylesheet="../../Resources/Stylesheets/MyStylesheet.css">

Description: New Flare project, new Word import file, using an existing Flare stylesheet. When I click "Import", I'm asked to accept the Flare stylesheet and table stylesheet I've named, and any new styles resulting from the import are appended to those stylesheets rather than new stylesheets being created.

Steps: Create new Flare project.
Import "my" stylesheet from my global project.
Create new Word import file, on Styles tab select the stylesheet imported from my Globals project and assign styles as necessary.
On Advanced options tab, select "Create new stylesheet" check box and select "Convert inline formatting to CSS styles" from the list.
Click Import.

"Accept Imported Documents" dialog box includes the names of the stylesheet and table stylesheet I selected, and any new styles are added to the end of those stylesheets.

Desired Behavior: Separate stylesheets are created and the stylesheets selected in the import file are not altered.
Started as a newbie with Flare 6.1, now using Flare 2023.
Report bugs at http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx.
Request features at https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlanKearns »

I raised a bug today too, and got this reply:

Go to: Project> Project Properties> Defaults> Select Primary Stylesheet.

If a Primary Stylesheet is not selected in the Project Options and simply set to default instead, then the "Create New Stylesheet" option is grayed out during imports.

The grey-out goes away. I'm hopeful that it also writes to the right CSS file now too.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Thanks for posting on how to get the checkbox enabled. Unfortunately the checkbox doesn't seem to make a difference for me. Whether it's ticked or untick, styles are added to my existing stylesheet. I'll be interested to hear if you have the same issue.
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlanKearns »

Now you mention it, I'm the same! Tell you what - you raise a ticket with support this time, and post the answer :D
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Raised. Will let you know. :)
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

No new stylesheet being created has been logged as a bug (#172020).

With my workflow I was selecting a stylesheet in the import process, and they have suggested creating a temporary one for the import so that the "real" one isn't updated. I haven't tried this yet.

I'd suggest you log a bug yourself, to help prioritise the issue. :)
AlanKearns
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by AlanKearns »

I've found that if you associate your main stylesheet (so you can map to styles in it), it ignores the fact that you've ticked 'create new stylesheet'. It stops making one named after the import filter, and just keeps adding 'meta' lined to the associated one.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

And you have to select the stylesheet if you want to map the styles to existing styles in your project. :/

I'm going to try discarding inline formatting to see what happens in that case.
Psider
Propellus Maximus

Post by Psider »

Okay, so I made the following tests.

1. Create a "temp" stylesheet that Flare can add to for every import
I created a tempimport.css and pasted my regular stylesheet code into it. I selected this in the Associate Stylesheet list, ticked "Create new stylesheet" and selected "Convert inline formatting to CSS styles"
This works okay, in that my proper stylesheet isn't updated. However, I get heaps of extra classes applied to all my lists and images and paragraphs within lists. So I have to manually remove all the unneeded classes, if I want to keep the code clean. I could probably ignore, as when the classes aren't define, the text looks like whatever the base element is defined as.

2. Create a temp stylesheet and Keep inline formatting.
I don't like this because all my lists get margin-left/text-indent/whatever styles added to the code. This will have a visible effect on the html. So the classes are better in that they at least aren't visible.

3. Create a temp stylesheet and Discard inline formatting.
This produces the cleanest code. But I would have to make sure ALL formatting in Word is assigned a specific style in Word. At the moment buttons just have inline bold applied so end up completely unformatted in Flare.

With all three tests, I expect I'd have to paste the proper stylesheet over the tempimport.css to clean up the list of mapping styles, and to make sure any changes over time are reflected in the available styles.

Hope these thoughts help someone else.