Imported topics don't display without relinking in TOC

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
nfinberg
Jr. Propeller Head

Imported topics don't display without relinking in TOC

Post by nfinberg »

I have configured a project (P0) that contains a TOC (A), a portion of which is a TOC (B), imported from a source project (P1). TOC A links to topics T01 - T50, and TOC B links to topics T51 - T100, also imported from project P1.

When I build the html target linked to TOC A in project P0, all topics in the TOC display correctly, except for the topics linked to TOC B. When I build the html target for TOC B in the source project P1, all topics display correctly.

When I open TOC B in projct P0, then open the link for each entry in the TOC, the correct topic displays.

The URLs for topics linked to TOC B in project P0 that do not display include an additional set of nestings not present in the URLs of topics that do display properly.

When I link the entries from TOC B in project P0 to the corresponding imported topics (T51 - T100), then save and build the html target again, the topics linked to TOC B do display correctly.

So, despite TOC B and associated topics T51 - T100 having been configured and imported properly in project P0, the topics do not display when the associated target is built, even though the TOC entries were apparently already linked to the correct imported topics.

However, when explicitly linking TOC B to the corresponding topics in P0, then rebuilding, the topics display properly - a step which should be unnecessary, since the links were configured in the source project. Given the additional URL nestings for the topics that don't display, it seems that the topics linked to TOC B in P0 may originally have been pointing to the source project P1, rather than P0.

Any thoughts as to whether this is an issue with Flare, or an issue in my config?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Imported topics don't display without relinking in TOC

Post by NorthEast »

How are you "importing" from project P1?

If you use a Flare project import (also called Global Project Linking), and import the TOC file (*.fltoc) and topics, then these files should be copied to project P0 as-is. The topics will be in the same folder location as the source project P0, and the URLs in the TOC file should be linked to them.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by the "additional URL nesting". Do you mean (a) the imported topics in P0 are in a different folder location to the source project P1? or (b) the topic links in the imported TOC (*.fltoc) in P0 are different to P1?
nfinberg
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by nfinberg »

Yes, the import configuration is set up in P0 using Global Project Linking, and includes TOC B and topics T51 - T100. These items are reimported into P0 when they are changed in the source, P1.

Reimport workflow: Select import file (TOC or topics) in P0 > ensure Source Project location is correct > Click Reimport > review Accept Imported Documents pane > Click Accept.

The URLs I'm referring to are the ones displayed in the web browser when the html output is rendered for the built target.

URL for topics that display correctly:
Image 1.png
URL for topics that do not display:
Image 2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

Yeah, it looks like the link has got messed up somehow. Maybe in part of the import process Flare has tried to 'correct' the links in TOCB, and so given it a relative link. What do those two links look like in the TOC files in Flare? i.e. Open TOC B, select a topic that works and check the Link in the Properties, then compare to a link that doesn't work.

Typically in my TOCs the Link starts with /Content - it doesn't try to do relative linking like you have in your faulty link (../../.. etc).
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

As you're using a project import, the imported TOCB in project 0 should be exactly the same as TOCB in project 0. Flare doesn't process modify the TOC during import.

I'd suggest looking at TOCB in both projects, and compare how the links look for topics that don't work and the topics that do work.

All topic links in the TOC should start with "/Content", such as: /Content/Folder/Topic.htm