Word importing + tables

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
twmarcb
Propeller Head

Word importing + tables

Post by twmarcb »

When I import my Word document no errors are presented, but no topics are created for anything that follows the first table encountered. When I delete that table and re-import, it continues until it reaches the end of the next table. It actually gets the table into the topic, but then stops completely.

What do I need to do to get Flare to import my Word document (with tables)? Is there an option I'm missing?
twmarcb
Propeller Head

Post by twmarcb »

in another test it omits the table, starts the next topic but the only thing in the topic is a gray bar with the following text:
output index proxy
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

It sounds to me like you need to submit a bug report to MadCap. It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to see the files you are trying to import, and then look at your project files in general.

It sounds like an importing bug, to me (an uneducated, non-expert ;) )

Bug Reports go here:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/bugs/submit.aspx
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Word importing + tables

Post by LTinker68 »

twmarcb wrote:When I import my Word document no errors are presented, but no topics are created for anything that follows the first table encountered.
Do you have headers separating the content in the document?

Header1
Normal (text)
{table}
Header1
Header2
Normal (text)

Or do you not have headers separating the sections? You can tell Flare what style to use to separate topics. This is the first time I recall someone mentioning this type of problem. You don't happen to use headers inside your tables, do you?

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
twmarcb
Propeller Head

Post by twmarcb »

I found the problem. I have a style we call Spacer that we put in before and after tables in our documents. When Flare reached one of these spacer styles, the import failed. I removed all the spacer styles from my document and the import completed.

The style is 8pt Arial Narrow, superscript, 0 before 6pt after.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Interesting. I wonder why it had a problem with that style. Unless it's set to a level 1 instead of body text or something like that.

Anyway, FYI... In Flare, if you want the same effect, you should be able to specify a margin-top and margin-bottom property to the <table> tag to get the same spacing before and after the table.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

I haven't been able to get the margin top and margin bottom properties to work properly in my printed output, so if you are going to need printed output, you will need to find another solution (my solution is to do post-processing to add extra space after a table).
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

helen
Sr. Propeller Head

Re:

Post by helen »

doc_guy wrote:I haven't been able to get the margin top and margin bottom properties to work properly in my printed output, so if you are going to need printed output, you will need to find another solution (my solution is to do post-processing to add extra space after a table).
Me neither :(

Has anyone else found a solution for this? I've got my tables indented correctly, but, Word appears to ignore a margin-top definition in inches (or anything for that matter).

Ah just found this: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... ble#p38203, bring on Flare 4.0 :wink: