How to break .html files

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
dr_gonzo
Jr. Propeller Head

How to break .html files

Post by dr_gonzo »

I'm specifically asking about WebHelp output, but a general answer is fine. Flare 3.1, Frame 7.2

By default, Flare seems to create one .html file per Frame chapter. I want to change this such that chapter headings, head 1s and head2s are output on their own .html pages. That way, when a user browses to one of these pages, they see only what is in that heading and nothing else.

How do I do that?
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: How to break .html files

Post by KevinDAmery »

When you import the Frame source files, there are various options for where to break the content into topics. You can find these options in the "New Topic Styles" and "Options" pages of the Import definition. New Topic Styles, as the name suggests, allows you to define which styles are used to break topics. It sounds like in your case you would want to use Chapter Headings, Head1, and Head2. To do this, select those styles in the column on the left, then add them to the column on the right.

The Options page gives you additional parameters for breaking topics, based on the length of the content. Usually, I turn all of these options off, since the break points don't make semantic sense.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
ch0kee
Jr. Propeller Head

A soution ? maybe..

Post by ch0kee »

Hi!

I would like to inform all of you, who has trouble with this htm-breaking-story.
---
I've created a little external extension for Flare in c#, that makes the following :
+ Improved !powerful! Alias linking -really-
+ ! Regenerating TOC structure, using .DOC files !
(so you can break every topic to separated .htm, and you can enjoy the same structure as in the .DOC)
+ Resaving .h file into normalized format (excluding tabs, so every Context Number is recognized)
+ Automatic numbering in TOC
---
If MadCap doesn't make any solution for this general problem, I'll make my app downloadable.