Frame images - multiple in a frame - come in gray

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Frame images - multiple in a frame - come in gray

Post by Will Gaffga »

Hi ... When I am importing FM files, any and all image frames that have >1 image within the frame get imported as a single image = good. What is bad is that all of the contents are simply gray, the content is not rendered. See below.
5_11.jpg
First: I need these to not be gray.
Second: I want them to be PNGs, not JPEGs if at all possible.
Third: Even though I specified to preserve the image size, some get resized (see below) ... this needs to not happen.
5_112.jpg
So, how do I fix this?

Thanks.
Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Re: Frame images - multiple in a frame - come in gray

Post by Will Gaffga »

After searching the KB I see a note http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... %20out.htm that says:
Full Description:
If your system does not have the font set that is used in the FrameMaker document you are trying to import, then images with call outs appear as gray boxes. This is a limitation of Adobe Distiller, as it will not create the images if the fonts are missing from the system.
Solution:
* Update Frame document to contain fonts on the system or install missing fonts, then re-import
* Move the folder that contains the original Frame document to a directory level higher or lower in the system, then re-import
Alright ... no, not really "alright". This is a problem.
1 - There are no missing fonts. I even went through the docs again to confirm this
2 - Moving files would be disastrous! Using FrameMaker in the real world means you are using referenced files. Referenced files can come from many sources. The sources are many, in our case the images could come from a minimum of four directories: <lang>\<doc>\<images>, <lang>\<interface>\<images>, <common art>\<doc>\<images>, <common art>\<doc>\<images>. That doesn't even take into account a reference to an image originating in another document. Moving a folder is totally out of the question. Perhaps they mean move the entire master directory for the docs? That is bad too as source control would then be messed up.

This is a bug, pure and simple. Distiller does not choke on the images, Flare chokes on the images.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Frame images - multiple in a frame - come in gray

Post by SteveS »

Not a fix, but lodge a bug report here.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.