Cross references do not work

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Cross references do not work

Post by Will Gaffga »

How does one make a cross reference work when importing from FrameMaker? I have looked over the Help files but ... they're no help.

Second, how does one define the format of the cross reference? E.g., in FM it is fine for the file to reference a page number, but that is certainly a no-go for online help.

Thanks

Will.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Re: Cross references do not work

Post by KevinDAmery »

Will Gaffga wrote:How does one make a cross reference work when importing from FrameMaker? I have looked over the Help files but ... they're no help.
Ok, specifically what does "not work" in this case? I.e. nothing happens, they're pointing to the wrong place, they have the wrong format... what specifically isn't working for you?
Second, how does one define the format of the cross reference? E.g., in FM it is fine for the file to reference a page number, but that is certainly a no-go for online help.

Thanks

Will.
You use the Edit Cross Reference Style Class dialog. If you search the help for "Edit Cross Reference Style Class dialog" you'll find the relevant topic. Basically, you build a cross reference style using operators, very similar to how you would build a numbering sequence in Frame. You can also define different x-ref styles for print and online output, so for example you could have "see X on page #" for print and "see Topic" for online.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
Will Gaffga
Propeller Head

Post by Will Gaffga »

Well, I guess the cross-refs that were not working (i.e. did not actually go anywhere) are to numbered figures. That is another topic I will be posting.

As for the rest, I understand the concept of building the x-ref using operators. I was trying to find where and how, the online help kept implying this was defined in the CSS style sheet ... obviously not. I now understand how to edit existing x-refs, one at a time.
SNAG-215.png
SNAG-217.png
What I need to understand now is how to do it when importing the FM files. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism for defining or choosing the x-ref format at that time. Making the changes individually is ... not gonna happen.
SNAG-216.png
So, any insight?

Thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
landiana
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by landiana »

We map the cross reference style (it's in our .css folder) on the Cross Reference Style tab when setting up to import (from Frame), mapping to the Flare Sylte of MadCap:xref (FrameMaker Style). Our .css entry includes something like this: {b}{paratext}{/b}. After import, I go to the first cross reference and highlight is slowly so that I see the orange edit bar appear, right click the highlighted cross reference, select Edit Cross-Reference, and click OK in the Cross Reference Properties dialog box (which should display your xref format from the .css file). Your cross reference should then appear without the page number. If you highlight the cross reference again and select Tools > Update Cross References from the menu, all of your project's cross references should update to match the one you just edited. Hope that helps.

One caveat: I have yet to make imported Frame cross references among sub-projects work. I can only get the cross references in the same project to work, even after merging all the sub-projects into the same master project.