Importing RoboHelp project containing merged topic

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Importing RoboHelp project containing merged topic

Post by ccardimon »

I'm having problems with this. Based on another thread, I have submitted a feature request/bug report.

Meanwhile, I need a workaround. The project I'm muscling into Flare is my biggie. It HAS to go IN.

Hammers, duct tape, nails, glue, crowbars, whatever it takes.

Should I import the RH project into Flare and then try to import the merged topic as a Word file into the same project?

Should I import the whole thing as a huge Word document? I have that.

Tell me what I should do here, folks.

I'm WIDE open.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Re: Importing RoboHelp project containing merged topic

Post by wclass »

If we can vote on this, I'd choose to import from RH where I could, and add a smaller Word file later, rather than all from Word.

My reasons? Styles!

Bullets and Numbered lists, and table styles don't transfer from Word as well as I'd like (most end up as a p.something). Lists within lists are treated wrongly. You can map a heading 1 to h1 but it comes through as "h1.heading1". This often looks OK when you first import, but it makes maintenance harder later on. Styles can get added to your stylesheet that you might not really want. Also, all your topics end up in one folder, and you have to spend time moving them around. With a big file this would be tedious.

When you import from RH you also need to clean up a bit - like getting rid of references to ehelp javascript, but I found you can do that with a global find/replace.

Of course, it does depend on the state of the originals, but I hope this helps a bit.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

wclass wrote:If we can vote on this, I'd choose to import from RH where I could, and add a smaller Word file later, rather than all from Word.
I did as you suggested. Things look okay, except the images are all just "out there." They are not collected under Resources or any other folder. As fas as I can see, there is no Resources folder. Did I do something wrong?
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
wclass
Propellus Maximus

Post by wclass »

I think Kevin commented on this in another thread. Yes, when importing from RH, the images stay in the same place they were in RH. An images folder in Resources is only created when you import from Word, but you can create this manually. I don't see this as a problem, and no, you did nothing wrong. You can always move the files around and maintain the links. Even if you have hundreds, you can use the File List and move them many at a time.
Margaret Hassall - Melbourne
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Cool. I'll give it a shot this morning.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

wclass wrote:Even if you have hundreds, you can use the File List and move them many at a time.
Okay, I have them "grabbed," but how do I move them? I don't see any dialog for that. I know it must be here somewhere.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

Use the "Show Files" option in the Content Explorer. See this thread -> http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... f=5&t=6135

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
ccardimon
Propellus Maximus

Post by ccardimon »

Thanks, Lisa.
Craig

Lost in Disturbia