RH9 import: Flare glossary contains only every second entry

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

RH9 import: Flare glossary contains only every second entry

Post by i-tietz »

Hi Folks,
just for info: I just submitted a bug report about the above problem. So I suppose MadCap is working on it ...

Since version 4 is not yet out: Any chance of fixing that problem with version 4?
:-)
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Re: RH9 import: Flare glossary contains only every second entry

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Flare does not support the import of Anything earlier than Robohelp v4, Robohelp v4 was released in 2004, Robohelp 9 Was released about 2000. You may want to see what happens if a newer version of Robohelp opens the file, I suspect that the Glossary will appear incorrect also.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Sorry to dredge up an old topic.

Rick, can you clarify: you don't support imports of Robohelp X3? (you lost me with v4 vs X4. Was there an X4? I know about X3 and X5. Was there a v4 before or after that?

The RoboHelp numbering kind of confuses me, so I want to clarify if you support import of RH X3 projects.

Thanks.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

wijnand
Propeller Head

Post by wijnand »

There is a X4 release, I have a copy of it in my Robohelp Museum cabinet (we also ahve the first version of robohelp in it). I sadly have a ton of experience importing Robohelp projects that use the HPJ extension these are basically the project files that were made with RoboHelp Word. These cannot be imported into flare manually sadly.

However I found a few solutions for people who are stuck in importing their Robohelp Projects.

First try to import the old robohelp project with Robohelp X5. If you use Robohelp 6 or 7 you are at risk of losing a few things that are new to Robohelp during conversion (conditions styles etc) but generally that shouldn't be a problem as the old Robohelp project generally didnt have those either. If this crashes however in Robohelp which tends to happen because of a bad word file you have one more option that sometimes has worked for me with Robohelp 2000 projects. Try to import it with DocToHelp2009 if this does work then you can compile the project as a CHM file. And when you go to the output folder of DoctoHelp you will see a Temporary folder just like in Flare with the HHP file that you can use to import the entire project in flare.

I do have to warn you though this will require a lot of inline formatting cleanup!

Flare supports the import of the following file extensions :

XPJ MPJ and HHP I am not entirely sure from when and what MPJ has been used but if your X3 has that file then it should be importable. But Importing things automatically is always a risky business.
Richard Ferrell
Propellus Maximus

Robohelp Imports and Versions

Post by Richard Ferrell »

Flare Offically only supports Robohelp x4 or Later, While it should import an RH x3 project, (Not much difference between Robohelp x3 and x4, Just Flash output added to make Ehelp look good to Macromedia (and we know how well that worked for robohelp)). with out any problems.

It was decided that we had to draw the line somewhere, and it was decided to make it Robohelp 4 or newer. Older versions of Robohelp can be imported, but some parts may not import correctly. Of course if you are having problems importing an Earlier Robohelp project we want to help you, So its always best to open a support ticket.
Richard Ferrell

Certified Madcap Trainer