Possible to import a Word doc into a an exisiting project?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
mdgates
Propeller Head

Possible to import a Word doc into a an exisiting project?

Post by mdgates »

I have an existing Flare project and I would like to import a Word document to create additional topics. Is this possible with Flare 3.1?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Possible to import a Word doc into a an exisiting project?

Post by SteveS »

Yes, Flare allows you to import Word documents.

A couple of tips - try to get the Word document as clean as possible before the import, only use styles you have in the Flare project. Try to eliminate anything that has bold or italic added (rather than a specific stlye). When you go through the import map the Word styles to the Flare styles.

Pay attention to the create new topic 'rules'. For example, the rules to prevent small topics or to cut large topics up can cause problems. If you can have 1 Word document per topic (and 1 topic per Word doc), you're in front of the game.

And, try it and check it. If you don't like it, change the import parameters and try again until you get the best result. Then sever all links and archive the Word document! Work in Flare from thereafter.

I don't have access to Flare at the moment so I can't help with specific steps, others might be able to step in...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

A lot of new Flare users get confused around this because of the way Flare's interface is set up - if you see the File > Import Project > Import MS Word Documents menu item first, it's natural to assume that's where you import Word documents... then you get confused as to why it keeps making a new project each time.

If you need to import Word documents into an existing project, you do it differently. Open the Project Organizer and go to Imports. Right click on the folder and choose Add MS Word Import File. You can then define how to import different Word files into the project.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
mdgates
Propeller Head

Post by mdgates »

Thanks for the tips. I think I have it figured out now.
McCarthy
Propeller Head

Post by McCarthy »

KevinDAmery wrote:A lot of new Flare users get confused around this because of the way Flare's interface is set up - if you see the File > Import Project > Import MS Word Documents menu item first, it's natural to assume that's where you import Word documents... then you get confused as to why it keeps making a new project each time.

If you need to import Word documents into an existing project, you do it differently. Open the Project Organizer and go to Imports. Right click on the folder and choose Add MS Word Import File. You can then define how to import different Word files into the project.
These two options for importing are completely different I guess and still sort of confusing.

I've tried what you mentioned above, but it only allows you to import flare .flimp files, not .doc. So maybe I have it wrong, but doesn't that mean you should import the word file into it's own project once so that it's saved as a .flimp file, then open the project you actually want the word content in and Add Word Import File?

I guess what most people seem to be looking for, me included, is a way to use a template (or project) you have set up already and just import the word content into that template project. Can't seem to figure it out though. And this solution you mentioned may be right, but means creating a project just for the import. Is this the best way to handle it?

Thanks,

GM
Flare 4.2
Certified Mad for Flare
Windows XP
KevinDAmery
Propellus Maximus

Post by KevinDAmery »

No, it doesn't allow you to import a .flimp, it *creates* a .flimp (which stands for "Flare Import"). This is a definition file that tells Flare how to import one or more files, including what to do with long topics, which styles to map, etc. In the .flimp you use the Add Files button to tell it which .doc files to include.

Each project can contain as many .flimp files as you need. You can use the .flimp to reimport the files into the project later (for example, if the Word doc gets updated by a SME, you can just run the import again rather than having to set everything up again).

EDIT: and no, you don't have to create separate projects for each Word file.
Until next time....
Kevin Amery
Certified MAD for Flare
McCarthy
Propeller Head

Post by McCarthy »

You're right. I've tried it and it works perfectly.

Thanks!
Flare 4.2
Certified Mad for Flare
Windows XP