How to import Word documents without Word 2k3

This forum is for all Flare issues related to importing files or projects.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

How to import Word documents without Word 2k3

Post by RamonS »

I use OpenOffice.org since a few years now and find it to work well and be easy on the pocket unlike MS Office. Now I need to import a Word document and the only MS Office version I have is Office XP, which seems not to work out. I tried the Word Viewer since the only thing needed is to read the proprietary formats, but that wasn't good enough either. I guess I am out of luck or does someone have a solution for this other than shelling out hundreds of dollars for some mediocre Microsoft product? The binary formats are now public, there really is no reason to mandate to have Word installed.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: How to import Word documents without Word 2k3

Post by SteveS »

While not solving your problem per se, can you cut and paste the Word document? Flare IV is very good at that!
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

That would get the document in, but I am working on a piece that describes the import process for a converted Word/FM/WebWorks user.
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by LTinker68 »

RamonS wrote:... and the only MS Office version I have is Office XP, which seems not to work out.
Office XP is 2003, isn't it? What do you mean it's not working out? Are you getting an error? If you just installed Office XP, then maybe you need to reinstall Flare to get it to recognize that Office XP is on the system.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

No, XP is the version before 2003. Even with it installed Flare didn't recognize it. I did find a way. I have Office 2003 at work and via VPN, emailed download link, and a lot of patience I was able to install Flare remotely on my work PC and do it that way. I just find it just silly to mandate Office when all the formats are public. I am convinced MadCap can write a routine for reading in Word docs that is better than Word itself.
Since I also have to do the same for Frame I guess I have to get creative. I think one can download a trial version of Frame (unlike MS Office).